FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By winterk423
My cobra lily decided to stick its root outside of the pot....is this a good or bad thing and what should I do?

(Sorry for blurriness, I was using my phone)
By dmagnan
Those are great pics for a phone! I don't know about darlingtonia in particular, but I've had plenty of plants which have grown roots out of their pots, carnivorous and not, and it's never caused a problem.
By David F
Personally I would just take it as a sign to repot this beauty, so its roots can spread, from what I know darlingtonia adore very wide pots so their roots can really get going.

If your afraid you would break the roots, I would just go ahead and carefully tear up the pot until you can remove everything safely.

Good luck :P
By jht-union
I would go with what David F said,

That's a sign that the plant is asking for a more taller pot and needs repotting.....thought i have never had this happen to me, and if people say it doesn't affect the plant, then you can decide whether or not to repot.

Good luck! :)
By winterk423
Thanks everyone! I think I'll repot because if more roots start growing out then I might damage them while trying to repot it then.
By snapperhead51
Hi
yer give that little beauty some more grow room , 4 or 5 times times the pot size even bigger will not got astray , nice growing
J
By linton
It's not a root, it's a stolon. Usually they will encircle the inside of the pot (sometimes several times) before forming a new plant at the very end. The new plant can be detetched & potted once it has it's own root system.
By Daniel_G
I'm with linton, it is a stolon.
I've got two on one of my plants.
I grow these in cat litter trays, so they have more room to grow outwards. That way you can get way more stolons popping up!
Daniel_G liked this
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!