FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Nats
FT's have obvious, and much fun to watch, movement.
I am wondering, does any other CP have movement?
By David F
Drosera Burmanii has snap tentacles that move rather quickly when trigered, they are the dewless stubs at the end of the leaves. I think the ones called bladderworts are like aquatic-mini venus flytraps.
By David F
Haha yup, I saw that in a CP book, tiny pictures some pretty cool 3d pictures and they looked like little VFTs! :D
By RL7836
Utrics are said to have the most evolved / complex trapping mechanism of all CPs. Some of the largest traps can get to ~1/4" and are easy to observe. Check out U. arnhemica or U. humboldtii.
By jht-union
VFT's move, utricularias, droseras,Drosophyllum, pinguiculas(some of them, like moctezumae), i don't know any other CP.

About the utricularias, i'm growing 2 utricularias both U.inflata in petri-dish with rain water, and i'm using a light bulb for light. They are very interesting plants to look at with a digital microscope. i took some pictures of them, search for microscopic pics or something! ;)

Also i have been working with larvae, which is easy to get with all the trays i use with my plants. and i put them with the utrics, i'm working on recording a microscopic video of a utricularia catching an insect, i haven't been lucky yet to see that in person, but everytime i look at the utrics there's always a larvae in a trap. I hope i'm able someday to see how it catch it, and record a video. Larvaes are the food for my utrics because mosquitoes lay their eggs in the water all the time, so they have a feast all the time!
Here's a pic from weeks ago, the head is stuck in the trap, i will be taking more pics soon! :):

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!