FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I've got a Cape sundew that's like 1.5-2 years old that I picked up last summer, and for some reason after I've moved it outside a few months ago it's slowed down in growth and its new growth is starting to turn black. I did repot it about 3 weeks ago into a bigger pot since its roots were starting to come out of the bottom.

New medium is the regular 50/50 mix of perlite and peat moss. I keep it in a tray of distilled water. It's been in the high 80's all month long so far here in Georgia. No fertilizer or anything.

Is it suffering from heat stress or just too much sun? Acclimation to repotting? Acclimation to the weather turning super hot and sunny outside?

By Panman
How much sun is it getting? I had that problem with my capes last year when I put them outside in full sun.
Nikson liked this
By thepitchergrower
It's usually a problem with poor acclimatization to full sun. I too had that problem when I put them out in full burning CA sun. The plant will bounce back, just monitor it and make sure it doesn't deteriorate too much. If all else fails, it will probably come back from the roots.
Nikson liked this
By optique
Capes are subtropical and have issues above 85f they will not die but look like crap. They will do much better inside in the AC for the summer in GA.
Panman, Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Panman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:21 pm How much sun is it getting? I had that problem with my capes last year when I put them outside in full sun.
Since we're in the same state and growing conditions, it's basically out on the south deck with the sun beating down on it all day until the sun goes down.

Man, and here I thought they needed tons of sun! For some reason my Binata Multifada is growing like crazy with all this sun so far, but the Cape sundew is kind of doing poorly right now.

Does it even adjust and get used to it? Or is this just too much sun for this species overall?
By thepitchergrower
Nikson wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:11 pm
Panman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:21 pm How much sun is it getting? I had that problem with my capes last year when I put them outside in full sun.
Since we're in the same state and growing conditions, it's basically out on the south deck with the sun beating down on it all day until the sun goes down.

Man, and here I thought they needed tons of sun! For some reason my Binata Multifada is growing like crazy with all this sun so far, but the Cape sundew is kind of doing poorly right now.

Does it even adjust and get used to it? Or is this just too much sun for this species overall?
For me, capes have always grown stunted in full all day sun. When I shade them during the mid day, they start growing better, and become weedy.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
thepitchergrower wrote:
Nikson wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:11 pm

For me, capes have always grown stunted in full all day sun. When I shade them during the mid day, they start growing better, and become weedy.
That makes sense. Maybe I should move the plant under the table where it gets some shade.....or just take it indoors and move it under my growlights. They do super well under growlights right?
By Panman
Nikson wrote:Since we're in the same state and growing conditions, it's basically out on the south deck with the sun beating down on it all day until the sun goes down.
Yep, that's your problem. They don't like that much sun and they don't like the heat.
Nikson wrote:They do super well under growlights right?
The do well under grow lights. They also do very well on an east facing window sill. I have a pot of them sitting on the sill by my kitchen sink, and they are all dewy and happy. They aren't as dark red as they get under lights, but they have good color. Even the alba has a pinkish tinge to it.
Nikson liked this
By thepitchergrower
I find the saying "more sun = healthier plant/more dew" not true in this case. With the low humidity, blasting sun, and high heat, it doesn't help the plant (here in my climate).
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
I think some healthy new growth is starting to get ready to come out after a few weeks of being quiet and rather rough looking!

By Intheswamp
I see some black, charred-looking spots in the sphagnum moss. I've got that in some pots of mine...I'm curious as to whether it's a concern and also what causes it...???
By Sundews69
That's from it being too dry and having a high intensity level of light.
By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:00 am That's from it being too dry and having a high intensity level of light.
But, I've got some sphagnum moss that looks like that and I know it hasn't been dry. It gets probably six hours of direct sunlight each day. :? ????
Attachments:
IMG_7731a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7731a (Custom).JPG (584.37 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!