FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Does anyone know if there is a visual difference between the typical form of D. rotundifolia and D. rotundifolia var. corsica?
By ChefDean
From googled pics of typicals vs the pic Evenwind posted, it looks like the var Corsica might be similar in size, but more salmon colored.
Of course, seed grown can always have some minor variations due to whatever genes are expressed.
By Sundews69
Ok, thank you!
(where are the pics evenwind posted?)
By ChefDean
It's just the one pic on the thread you already posted on, asking for a more recent pic. I'm just assuming the pic he posted is of a small juvenile, getting the color from that. And, as most varieties of a species are of a similar size, I'm making an assumption on the mature size.
By Sundews69
Oh, ok, thanks! Do you think rotundifolia var. corsica would grow well in my conditions (which are similar to your Tennessee conditions)? I'm not sure how much experience you have with plants that are from a Mediterranean climate, so you may not have any idea, but I thought it never hurts to ask.
By ChefDean
If you remember from the description, strat is still practiced by at least the two growers from the forum that have it, and I was told they still form hibernacula so a dormancy is not out of the question. All info I have found and been told point to that they can treated like a cold temperate sundew.
Evenwind has posted that he has sown some fresh seed without strat, but it's way too early to have any results yet.
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:25 pm It's just the one pic on the thread you already posted on, asking for a more recent pic.
I think it was @sundewd who asked for a more recent picture.
By Sundews69
ChefDean wrote:If you remember from the description, strat is still practiced by at least the two growers from the forum that have it, and I was told they still form hibernacula so a dormancy is not out of the question. All info I have found and been told point to that they can treated like a cold temperate sundew.
Evenwind has posted that he has sown some fresh seed without strat, but it's way too early to have any results yet.
Ok, sounds good! I'll go make a request in the seed bank.
TrapsAndDews wrote:
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:25 pm It's just the one pic on the thread you already posted on, asking for a more recent pic.
I think it was @sundewd who asked for a more recent picture.
Yeah, I was gonna say that I didn't think I requested a more recent pic.
By ChefDean
Sundews69 wrote:Yeah, I was gonna say that I didn't think I requested a more recent pic.
TrapsAndDews wrote:I think it was @sundewd who asked for a more recent picture.
You're both correct, my apologies.
There ought to be a law about similar names dagnabbit!
By evenwind
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:40 pm If you remember from the description, strat is still practiced by at least the two growers from the forum that have it, and I was told they still form hibernacula so a dormancy is not out of the question. All info I have found and been told point to that they can treated like a cold temperate sundew.
Well, it's almost 2 months later and of the 25 or so seeds I sowed without stratification, I've got exactly 1 seedling. I have another batch of seeds but they are still in the fridge, so I can't compare directly, but I'd say my results definitely point to needing stratification.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
evenwind wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:33 pm
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:40 pm If you remember from the description, strat is still practiced by at least the two growers from the forum that have it, and I was told they still form hibernacula so a dormancy is not out of the question. All info I have found and been told point to that they can treated like a cold temperate sundew.
Well, it's almost 2 months later and of the 25 or so seeds I sowed without stratification, I've got exactly 1 seedling. I have another batch of seeds but they are still in the fridge, so I can't compare directly, but I'd say my results definitely point to needing stratification.
I decided to stratify all of them. Thanks for experimenting for us!
By Sundews69
Sundews69 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:43 pm
evenwind wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:33 pm
I decided to stratify all of them. Thanks for experimenting for us!
I'm gonna take them out of strat on May 26th. That's seven weeks in strat. Does that seem long enough?
By evenwind
evenwind wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:33 pm Well, it's almost 2 months later and of the 25 or so seeds I sowed without stratification, I've got exactly 1 seedling. I have another batch of seeds but they are still in the fridge, so I can't compare directly, but I'd say my results definitely point to needing stratification.
I managed to double the germination. There are TWO seedlings in the pot. Woo Hoo! Today, I added 12-15 cold stratified seeds to the pot. I'll post here with news.
Panman, ChefDean, Sundews69 liked this
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!