FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Adriana
What, if anything, do you spray on the sowing surface to retard fungal growth? Something that doesn't harm seeds? I've read of using dilute H2O2 but have also heard that that can harm newly emerging seedlings. As with everything there seem to be some conflicting views. What's your experience?

Thank you!
By ChefDean
The best way to prevent fungal growth is less moisture and better airflow. Now, carnivorous plant seedlings can't do without the moisture, so increase the airflow. If you already have the stuff growing, Bioadvanced 3 in 1 is a good one. For seedlings, I'd probably dilute it to half of what it recommended, the try to spot treat the fungus, avoiding the plants as much as possible.
Matt liked this
By Adriana
Thank you! I don't actually have an issue. I think washing the peat really really helps. What I was wondering was if there was a preventative. I've heard of people spraying with peroxide or neem.
By ChefDean
Good that you don't have a problem. I have also heard that hydrogen peroxide is good, plus it breaks down to oxygen. But I've only heard it used on older plants, I don't know how seedlings will react to it. However, I've never heard of using Neem for fungus.
I've seen reports that peat often gets a light gray fuzz that is harmless. A spritz will knock it down. Another way to postpone the fungus is, after you rinse the peat, microwave it. Get it hot enough to kill any fungal spores, and it must then collect "wild" spores before any grow. Delays the inevitable for a while.
Adriana liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!