FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DesertLlama
Is Drosera regia a species that doesn't mind being pot bound? Or does it need to graduate to bigger pots as it grows? Are there any issues to keeping it in the same pot other than limiting its maximum size? I have a 5.5 inch pot I could grow one in.
By Matt
I have grown Drosera regia in fairly small pots, so I don't think that matters much. But, it is always great to provide the largest pot possible with your grow set up to any plant you have. Any extra room in the pot provides insulation and room to grow.
By Apollyon
They like to suggest deep pots because the roots go down fairly deep. I have a couple Regia that are in two different sized pots. One I sized up but a similar one I kept in a small pot. Tbh the smaller pot is growing more vigorously at this point. So maybe it does like to be slightly potbound, who knows. Never heard of anyone trying it. I have a plant that's about 9-10 inches in a 2.5in pot. and another in a 6x6x8. What I seem to do is wait until the roots protrude through the drainage hole and then size up. The end pot is usually pretty large.

A 5inch pot is fine but these things get quite large. Eventually you will want to have a larger pot to accomodate it. A lot of people end up placing them in large terracotta (which Regia seems able to tolerate) and also allows heat to escape (they like cool roots). Look into Zeer pots lol. A guy I know grows his Regia and Darlingtonia in higher than normal temps and the pot keeps the roots cool. Takes three pots and some sand. I'm definitely going to give it a shot (live in a hotter climate). Good luck
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!