FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hey guys, today I harvested some cape sundew seeds for the first time off one of my alba's flower stalks. My question is when is the appropriate time to actually do it to ensure viability? I waited until all of the bulbs had ripened and turned dark but the flower stalk itself was still green. The very tip (first inch or so) had begun to die back. Was this too early? If it was, I was wondering when you guys harvest your own. I collected them and stored them in the refrigerator to play it safe. If they're viable, I'll donate some to the seed bank if they're wanted. Thanks everyone.
By ChefDean
With my Capes, I wait until the pod starts to darken, that tells me that the plant is done cooking it. I then remove the pod and put it in a small bowl. When the pod is good and dry, it will split and the seeds begin to fall out. I help it along by gently rolling the pod between my finger and thumb, usually directly into an origami envelope, instant seed pack. I try to not squeeze too hard because I don't want to crush the pod. If you get bits of pod in there, it's really not a problem, I just try to avoid it if I can.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!