FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
Hello everyone. I've seen a few people ask when are VFT seeds ripe and ready to collect from the pod so I thought i'd post a couple of pics. Now, keep in mind not all pods will open like this but the nice ones that are full of seed usually look like this when theyre ready. Some you might have to open the pod to get the seed out. Hope this helps someone a lil anyway :D .
Attachments:
DSCF7826.JPG
DSCF7826.JPG (62.37 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
DSCF7827.JPG
DSCF7827.JPG (54.7 KiB) Viewed 11474 times
Dionae, Dionae, Dionae and 1 others liked this
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:Thanks for posting the photo Eric! I just harvested the first seed of the season here in Oregon today.
--And I just completed my Dionaea seed harvest about a week ago. Shows the difference in climate between Oregon and New Mexico, U.S. :)
Steve_D liked this
By shirleycox
Look for the seed pods to appear after the plant flowers. This can happen as early as April in the deep south or on indoor plants and as late as June in the upper areas of the native coastal areas of the plant. Cut the seed pods from the plant using sharp scissors. Place or let them drop into a small bowl or cup. Break apart the seed heads to remove the small seeds inside. Do this gently. Spread the seeds on a layer of newspaper and leave them to dry in a well-ventilated area. This will take two or three days.
shirleycox liked this
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:--And I just completed my Dionaea seed harvest about a week ago. Shows the difference in climate between Oregon and New Mexico, U.S.
Darn you Steve! Always have to have your plants break dormancy before mine and set seed before mine! ;) I'd guess that means that your plants are probably at least a month ahead of mine in terms of growth this season. That's fairly significant!
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:I'd guess that means that your plants are probably at least a month ahead of mine in terms of growth this season.
Right now a lot of them are getting fried from the uncharacteristic extreme heat here in New Mexico and the convection-oven-like hot, dry wind. Or perhaps this blast-furnace heat of the last several years is the "new normal" for this area. 20 years ago it used to snow regularly in the winter here. Now it rarely gets below freezing and only for brief spells.
Steve_D liked this
By GothicJackalPaws
Oh! That reminds me! One of my flytraps is doing something weird with its flowers-- they're low-lying, with non-carnivorous leaves, and growing out of a thicker base. I don't know what to make of it. I'm sure it'll pollinate, I just don't know how to explain what it's *doing*.

Some of my flower stalks came up really early this year, I wasn't sure what to make of that. :S
GothicJackalPaws liked this
By tommyr
Good photos! My VFTs are flowering now. They are black and shine seeds when ripe. I've harvested mine before and even started the seeds! Fun stuff!
tommyr liked this

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!