FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By pcam86
Hi,

I have one VFT seed that has just started to germinate. I have it under a 66w grow light (split into 3 lights so seedling is only under one)

for the past week the seedling has been emerging from the seed but barely seems to be changing now so I was a little unsure if the conditions I have for it are affecting the growth speed?

I've taken off the propagation cover and just have it sat on the floor in my bedroom under the grow light in a tray of rain water. Is this normal for them to grow so slowly?
By DeanR
Speaking from a pure ignorance and just information off the internet, they grow very very slowly. Do you know what the humidity is around your plant? You don't need it to be 100%, but you still want high humidity when it's a Seedling
By pcam86
Ah ok. I'm thinking it womt be very humid and the UK never is and I've uncovered the pot due to mould forming. I may loosely cover it again for a while in that case if that's a better option?
By Artchic528
I'm just growing my seedlings in room temperature which is about 78F, in 100% peat and without a cover of any kind. After all, seedlings in the wild grow uncovered, don't they?

I spray a few times a day and keep a grow light on the seedlings as I'm growing them indoors for the winter.

They seem to be doing fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Coco
Plus, it saves you the hassle from slowly acclimating them to the open air temperature/humidity when growing flytrap seedlings without a cover on.
By Artchic528
Coco wrote:Plus, it saves you the hassle from slowly acclimating them to the open air temperature/humidity when growing flytrap seedlings without a cover on.
Exactly. And helps prevent mold from growing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Coco
I just got into growing seeds and haven't encountered molds yet ... maybe it's cuz I open up the cover every other day to let in fresh air? Or maybe I'm just lucky ... for now haha
By steve booth
Humidity in the UK isnt a problem, if the soil is wet the local microclimate around the plant will create a higher than ambient humidity. But it isnt necessary.

Cheers
Steve

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!