FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
After getting my first batch of VFT seeds I started wondering something...I'f heard a while back that some varieties of VFT don't produce seed and have to be propagated via pullings/divisions. I read the cultivated varieties and registered cultivar pages on this site but saw no mention of which produce seed.

Few questions -

1. Are there VFT's that do flower but do not produce seed? Or if a VFT "doesn't seed" does that inherently mean it will never create a flower?
2. How can you tell which types/cultivars of VFT will flower/seed and which won't?
By Nickrober
The way I understand it is all VFT's will produce a flower and can produce seed if pollinated. However, the child plants will not have the same traits as the parent plants. Much like people. Therefore, the only way to cultivate a plant like a Fused Tooth is vegetatively, instead of sexually. The Fused Tooth will still produce seeds, but the babies won't be Fused Tooth.

Could be wrong. But that's the way I understand it.
By renesis
Yeah, everything I've read has shown wacky traps can flower- but cannot set seed. They are sterile, and I'm sure there might be a few others the same way.
By Matt
Nickrober wrote:The way I understand it is all VFT's will produce a flower and can produce seed if pollinated. However, the child plants will not have the same traits as the parent plants. Much like people. Therefore, the only way to cultivate a plant like a Fused Tooth is vegetatively, instead of sexually. The Fused Tooth will still produce seeds, but the babies won't be Fused Tooth.

Could be wrong. But that's the way I understand it.
Yeah, that's pretty much sums it up exactly.

The only possible exception is that, to my knowledge, 'Wacky Traps' hasn't been successfully pollinated and it may be impossible to do so due to the fact that its stigma is deformed. I think that's what Kevin was alluding to.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!