FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
KissMegan wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:
This is rarely the case. I repeat: THIS IS RARELY THE CASE! Like I said, the work I've seen done at undergrad, grad, and doctoral levels is all the same: atrocious. You would consider the published reports fiction if you were actually there seeing their projects happen. Please don't trust someone just because they have a degree.
No offense, but I would hardly base the integrity of all researchers/scientists on what you've seen by some people at a university.
Not just at my university, but across the world. Professors, conservation efforts, fish and wildlife service, zoos, people actually in charge of a conservation plan for a species, etc. Like I said, don't just trust someone because they are a scientist/researcher without knowing what exactly it is they're doing.
Also, when they get employed eventually all the knowledge just clicks in their head right? Its a pattern of poor learning and instruction, jealousy, ego, faking and exaggerating data, etc. just like everything else in life where people play stupid games. Not all researchers negatively impacts plant and animals species, but I've seen a fair number that do.
By omnipercp15
I think the idea of the cuttings or root divisions was a good way to explain how we may take something from the plant, but still leave the plant in its place. Just like a plant from a friend's place, you would just want to take something with you to start a new plant, and not take the friend's plant.

Reading that article and seeing that 35,000 plants exist in the wild, then taking 1500 plants is amazing. I would like to know the detail of how they did it or what they did. My imagination guesses they just took a shovel and went hog-wild crazy on grabbing them. Even at $5 or $10 each, assuming they can keep them alive long enough to sell them, it's still a big chunk of money for something they got free. That's why they would be tempted to do so. They probably didn't even know that it was endangered, though they probably knew that it was protected if they are from that area.
By danielfivetoes
While I am not sure what to say about my original post, other than to say it was to inform those that appreciate carnivorous plants, such as a Venus fly trap that there is a concerted community effort here in the home grounds of New Hanover County, Pender County, Wilmington, North Carolina to see that the last remaining vestiges of these plants survive.
I am by no means an expert when it comes to these plants. I have learned from groups and organizations that many of us turned to. I stumbled into this because of the geology that has an inherent relationship between Carolina Bays and Venus fly traps. I am a little surprised and frankly appalled at some of the commentary that resulted from my original posting. Please let me explain myself in hopes to alleviate further vitriol responses. I volunteer my services in over the last three years have probably cultivated with the help of individuals such as Matt Miller and dozens of others to provide thousands of Venus fly traps and other carnivorous plants for a naturalized garden here in Wilmington. It is probably the only accessible public garden worldwide. There are those that might contend that not being an expert. I have no business doing what I do, but if I did not who would care for these plants? And hopefully educate our community, our children as I do Many free school programming about stewardship of a dwindling ecosystem.
I would ask only those that think there is no harm in essentially stealing plants for their own enjoyment to please come and spend the day with me and see the attrition rate of a few plants here or there that in the end create such devastation to an already devastated environment. Could one not make the argument that my poaching an endangered animal is no big deal since we have examples of them in a zoo?
Again, I entreat anyone who scoffs at the notion that this environment is endangered or at the level of extinction to spend a day here in North Carolina and witness it firsthand. Even on my one leg, (yes I do all this work is an amputee). We will have to March deep into Boggs and forests and savanna land to see the last remaining "typical" plant. In closing, I must say that there is a completely different relationship in regards to these plants when you spend hours, days or weeks in their environment and begin to fathom the delicate almost impossible interrelationship. And to the gentleman who created such animosity, you sir owe myself and my students an apology.
Daniel Sheret
Wilmington, NC

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!