FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tashiyana
I got my first VFT nearly a month ago. It was doing great until it started getting small (at first) brown dots around the edges of the leaves. I water it once every other day. At first I kept it near an east facing window but moved it to a south facing one so that it can be in the sun for more time. Unfortunately lately the weather's been bad and we get as much as only a few hours if sun. Should I move my plant under a uv lamp or keep it in its place? Is the lack if enough sunlight the reason why its leaves change colour?
By Chloe123
Leave it where it is for now. Flytraps are sun lovers and you should always make sure they get the most sun they can, but they won’t die if they don’t. Remember, they’ll have cloudy days growing in the wild as well.

Don’t worry about leaves turning brown. It’s a natural occurrence. Individual traps grow, live for about 2-3 months then die off. So long as the dead traps are being replaced at the same rate then you should be fine.

Also watch out for over-watering. If you give them too much moisture, algae or fungus can develop, which can be detrimental to the plant.

Just make sure it gets plenty of sun, and try putting it outside maybe? Even on an overcast day, growing outside can make a huge difference. Hope this helps!
Chloe123 liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!