FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Engimal
Hey guys, outside of growing my carnivorous plants, I'm also a programmer. I was thinking of building myself a web application to track the growth, feedings, watering scheduling, etc. of my VFTs, but I figure that there may be a bigger audience for it.

So my question basically is, what features of tracking your plants would you guys find handy in a web-application? Requirements elicitation is very handy, and there's no better place than right here, so just let me know! :)

(PS, if this goes against any rules I don't know about, feel free to remove!)
By Sakaaaaa
Engimal wrote:Hey guys, outside of growing my carnivorous plants, I'm also a programmer. I was thinking of building myself a web application to track the growth, feedings, watering scheduling, etc. of my VFTs, but I figure that there may be a bigger audience for it.

So my question basically is, what features of tracking your plants would you guys find handy in a web-application? Requirements elicitation is very handy, and there's no better place than right here, so just let me know! :)

(PS, if this goes against any rules I don't know about, feel free to remove!)
Interesting. Why web application? Why not a smartphone app (I know it's a little harder)? Maybe a web app that can be accessed from phones? What about a "Problem Identifier" that takes problems (e.g. My VFT is growing mutations) and returns the answer ("It is stressed")? Maybe to make it easier you could make a searchable dropdown of common problems. What about a "trap timer" for checking if the plant is light-starved via how many seconds the trap takes to respond? Also if you could, include a TDS tester and a cultivar identifier (Takes photo) ;)

I've been thinking of making something like this but the only language I know is Python and I'm not too good at it.

I would be happy to help!
Also I think Matt is a web programmer?
By Engimal
Sakaaaaa wrote: Interesting. Why web application? Why not a smartphone app (I know it's a little harder)? Maybe a web app that can be accessed from phones?
Yep, that's the idea! Web applications allow accessability from tablets, mobiles, computers, etc, without having to redevelop. Using Bootstrap, it's pretty easy to create an interface that works for phones and computers alike.
Sakaaaaa wrote: What about a "Problem Identifier" that takes problems (e.g. My VFT is growing mutations) and returns the answer ("It is stressed")? Maybe to make it easier you could make a searchable dropdown of common problems. What about a "trap timer" for checking if the plant is light-starved via how many seconds the trap takes to respond? Also if you could, include a TDS tester and a cultivar identifier (Takes photo) ;)
Great ideas! The cultivar identified was one I was thinking about already, glad you agree. Thanks. :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!