FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By caraie
Hello,
I have read this forum many times, but this time I've signed up and do my first question.
I have a Venus flytrap for about 5 months. Two weeks after purchasing, I did a transplantation using peat moss and perlite (I did the same with a sundew) and always watering with distilled water. The sundew for more than 3 months was perfect, better than ever, and one day began to lose its color (was brown) and died (now is beginning to reborn as a smaller plant). The venus recently began to turn black (and is not entering in dormacy period because we are in summer), the mouths of new leaves began to be black and some of those not even born, the rest of the leaf was perfect (only the mouth is affected).
Here is a photo (sorry for the bad quality, I took with my phone):
I'll really appreciate any advice!

Sorry for my faults in the language, I speak Spanish.
By 95slvrZ28
caraie wrote:Sorry for my faults in the language, I speak Spanish.
You have fantastic English! It's certainly much better than my Spanish...

It's hard to really tell what's going on from the picture you posted since the plant is out of focus. Your mobile phone camera can't focus that close (notice how the Sundew in the background is quite clear). Could you post another photo where you're not so close to the plant so we can see things a bit more clearly?

The only thing that I see from the photo you posted is that your media looks much too wet (unless you just watered before you took the picture).
Can you provide us with more details about your growing conditions? How much direct sunlight does the plant get every day? How often do you water it?
Traps not fully forming (or not at all) can be an indication the plant isn't getting enough light, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the conditions.
By caraie
95slvrZ28 wrote:
caraie wrote:Sorry for my faults in the language, I speak Spanish.
You have fantastic English! It's certainly much better than my Spanish...
Thank you!!!
95slvrZ28 wrote: It's hard to really tell what's going on from the picture you posted since the plant is out of focus. Your mobile phone camera can't focus that close (notice how the Sundew in the background is quite clear). Could you post another photo where you're not so close to the plant so we can see things a bit more clearly?
Yes, you're right, I'll try!
95slvrZ28 wrote: The only thing that I see from the photo you posted is that your media looks much too wet (unless you just watered before you took the picture).
Can you provide us with more details about your growing conditions? How much direct sunlight does the plant get every day? How often do you water it?
Traps not fully forming (or not at all) can be an indication the plant isn't getting enough light, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the conditions.
I have it on a plate with distilled water (one inch of water), I water the plant filling the plate (also receives rainwater, and these days it has rained a lot).
I have it on the outside next to a wall, the plant receives direct sun for several hours (especially in the morning, then indirect sunlight).
My niece recently fed 3 of your traps (in the same day), does this may be related?

Thank you very much for your help, my and my plant really appreciate it!!! :)
By 95slvrZ28
caraie wrote:I have it on a plate with distilled water (one inch of water), I water the plant filling the plate (also receives rainwater, and these days it has rained a lot).
Unless you live in a VERY dry and windy climate this is way too much water. I live in an area that's quite dry and gets hot during the summer and I water my plants a few times a week at most. You want to water your plant enough to keep the soil moist, but not saturated, at all times. When I water I put enough water in the tray for the soil to become saturated and then I don't give it any more water until the top of the medium begins to dry (it will become a lighter color and feel barely moist to the touch).
caraie wrote:I have it on the outside next to a wall, the plant receives direct sun for several hours (especially in the morning, then indirect sunlight).
Venus fly traps like LOTS of sunlight. You want the plant to receive at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight each day.
caraie wrote:My niece recently fed 3 of your traps (in the same day), does this may be related?
It will take a while of "over feeding" a venus fly trap before you see any decline in health. I doubt this is your issue.
By Steve_D
Too wet all the time and too warm (or too cold) will promote fungal infection. When the leaves are just emerging and beginning to grow they are especially vulnerable to fungal infection. It is normal for this to happen occasionally, but if it happens often, then it's usually because the plant and growing medium are too wet all the time. :)

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!