FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello. My dormant flytraps are outdoors and it's snowing. The lowest temperature during the night is usually 26F and 41F daytime. They often receive a few hours of light freezes during the night but not a big deal for them, so I'll try to keep them outdoors until daytime temps will go below 32F as well. I'm using 5.2" deep pots and the soil is moist inside, however it started snowing and the top of the pots are covered with snow. I read that snow is good because it keeps them warm, but I'm worried if the snow starts melting the soil may become too wet. Is root rot a possibility as long as they are outdoors in good air circulation? Should I remove the snow from the top of the pots?
By zoliky
What do you mean by large pots? My pots are about 5.2" tall and wide, but next year I'll repot them in deeper 8" pots.
I would prefer to keep them outdoors because they are getting good light during the day. Another option would be a cold pantry but I don't have artificial light there and the temperature is usually 46F which is probably not enough to cut the light.
Last edited by zoliky on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By xr280xr
zoliky wrote:Is root rot a possibility as long as they are outdoors in good air circulation? Should I remove the snow from the top of the pots?
I think it depends on how freely they drain. If the water is able to freely run through a somewhat airy media, I would be surprised by any rot.
xr280xr liked this
By zoliky
My flytraps are already in deep dormancy. They were sitting at 34F for almost a month.
Now if I decided to move them in a cold area to protect them from freezes, and that area is constant 41-42F (5-6 Celsius) is it possible for them to survive without light for two months? or they will jump back from deep dormancy to normal dormancy because the slight temperature increase?
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!