FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
Today, during classes, the wind got super strong and knocked the pot over. Almost all the leaves got torn off when it landed on the rocks. I checked on it, and the rhizome seems unharmed. What should I do? Will it survive? :cry:
By Frothy_Milk
I don’t see why it wouldn’t make a comeback. Try getting a plastic saucer/bowl that is as tall or taller than the pot, stick it in and fill it all the way up with water so there’s weight to it in case there are high winds again. Also works so you don’t have to water so often as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
Venus fly traps, sarracenia, and certain drosera love to be waterlogged at all times. If the bowl is taller than the pot don’t drown it overhead, just make sure that pot is always in at least 2 inches of water.

By Panman
Flytraps do not like to be waterlogged. They will get root rot if the roots are sitting in water. Although they are bog plants, in their natural environment the ground is very sandy and drained. They don't sit in water for very long.
Supercazzola, MaxVft liked this
By CPhunter101
If you're willing to risk it, you can repot the flytrap and add some rocks to the bottom of the pot. You can also place mineral free rocks in the water tray. If you don't want to use rocks, I recommend that you place the flytrap somewhere really low and close to the ground. For extra protection from the wind, place heavy objects near your flytrap (make sure not to block out sunlight though).
By Frothy_Milk
Panman wrote:Flytraps do not like to be waterlogged. They will get root rot if the roots are sitting in water. Although they are bog plants, in their natural environment the ground is very sandy and drained. They don't sit in water for very long.
I’ve always kept my North American plants sitting in a tray of water at all times. California carnivores, sarracenia northwest, etc recommends this for growing.

By Frothy_Milk
albertoburrito wrote:Tray watering is good, but i think you meant moist instead of waterlogged. Waterlogged plants can get root rot.
Yeah there is a difference should’ve been more specific. The soil wasn’t sopping wet ever it was just moist at all times

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!