FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
So I know that flowering can suck a lot of the energy and vigor out of a flytrap, especially if it isn't as healthy as it should be. But recently, I've heard that the Venus Flytrap flower is the end of it's growth point. So when it flowers completely, the rosette is finished, and supposedly that specific growth point won't put out new growth. So instead the rhizome of the plant puts out new growth points where new plants begin. Kind of like how a sunflower (specifically the kind with only one flower per plant) will put out a flower, and stop growing because the growth point is blocked. Is this true?

I've never seen this happened with my plants. I've had them flower completely a few years back and although I didn't pay too much attention to their growth habits at the time. I swear I never saw the main plants die and have a huge clump of them pop up later. When repotting, I look at the rhizome and I can see that my plants continuously push out new leaves regardless of the dying growth, whether it be leaf or flower.

So has anyone else seen this happen with an otherwise healthy plant?
By bananaman
I have never observed that sort of behavior with flytraps since I began growing them. They’re not monocarpic like agaves or bromeliads or bananas or many other plants are. If they were, cutting off a flowerstalk wouldn’t really change anything — the main growth pint would still die.

Flytraps do tend to divide after flowering, but it’s not because the main growth point dies. That’s just the growth cycle of the plant. VFTs big enough to flower often divide on their own.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!