FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
Does anything influence a Venus Flytrap to flower, or do they all get flowers eventually?
By Branmuffin
Well, generally once the plant reaches a certain maturity they will flower. Each plant or cultivar can be different as to what point of maturity they will produce a flower stalk. Generally if it is a seed grown plant it will take several years for a plant to reach flowering maturity. There is a Pygmy cultivar that will flower at a very young age and produce little mini stalks if I understand correctly.
Also they will usually throw out their flower stalks a month or two after coming out of dormancy.
Another reason a plant will flower is due to poor conditions, as a last ditch effort to seed itself before it dies. It is also common if you buy a plant at a local hardware store or grocery store and bring it home and introduce it to favorable conditions you may get flower stalks soon, even late in the season. This is because the plant has been in a near dormant state while inside a grocery store with poor lighting and low water, so the plants are essentially coming out of a dormant state thinking it must be spring when it is really fall!

Whatever the case, it is usually best to cut the flower stalk at 1-2 inches tall if your plants are not fully mature, a lot of plant resources go into producing the flower stalks and can harm your plant if it is not in great conditions.
By Frothy_Milk
Branmuffin wrote:Well, generally once the plant reaches a certain maturity they will flower. Each plant or cultivar can be different as to what point of maturity they will produce a flower stalk. Generally if it is a seed grown plant it will take several years for a plant to reach flowering maturity. There is a Pygmy cultivar that will flower at a very young age and produce little mini stalks if I understand correctly.
Also they will usually throw out their flower stalks a month or two after coming out of dormancy.
Another reason a plant will flower is due to poor conditions, as a last ditch effort to seed itself before it dies. It is also common if you buy a plant at a local hardware store or grocery store and bring it home and introduce it to favorable conditions you may get flower stalks soon, even late in the season. This is because the plant has been in a near dormant state while inside a grocery store with poor lighting and low water, so the plants are essentially coming out of a dormant state thinking it must be spring when it is really fall!

Whatever the case, it is usually best to cut the flower stalk at 1-2 inches tall if your plants are not fully mature, a lot of plant resources go into producing the flower stalks and can harm your plant if it is not in great conditions.
Thank you for the tips! The plant is healthy (I would think) and has been doing nothing else but growing. I have it sitting in a mixture of peat moss and perlite, and the pot sits in a water tray with reverse osmosis water. I got my cultivar from California carnivores and it is a relatively small plant (I've had it for about a month or two). I took the suggestion and cut the flower stalk while around 2 inches because I don't want it to drain the energy from the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!