FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tommyr
The plant doesn't really need light during dormancy.
For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for almost 10 years with no losses.
By Rah420
Thanks for your response! I can't really grow my plants outside because it gets too cold where I live. Last night I managed to find a way to keep the plant by the cool window and put an artificial light above it. I hope that setup will work out because I don't think I'll be able to find a fungicide anywhere right now. My fridge also has some problems with leaks on the inside so it's not a good option for me.
By idog24
Id really like to see the pictures you posted but theyre not appearing for me for some reason :cry:
By WormsAreGross
if the plant enters dormancy and kills itself (ifyouwill), how the heck is dormancy "skipped"??
By Fieldofscreams
It don't kill itself. It hoards all the energy in its bulb instead of producing leafs.

Some people skip it by keeping it inside under grow lights. Don't do that if you want it to survive for many years.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By PiranhaPlanter1
Matt wrote:
PocketPirate wrote:There's no way that's dormancy right??
Yes, they look dormant to me. I don't think that there's anywhere in the continental US where flytraps won't go dormant during the winter months. In the lower latitudes, like Florida and Texas, they just don't go as dormant. But they still get plenty of rest to grow normally.
Matt can you explain a bit more? You said the traps won't go as dormant but will still get rest. What's the warnest it could be to give them rest without cold temps?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
By Matt
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Matt can you explain a bit more? You said the traps won't go as dormant but will still get rest. What's the warnest it could be to give them rest without cold temps?
I've never lived that far south and have only seen photos and read a lot about people growing in that area, so all of this information is second-hand.

Having said that, I don't think it's the temperature that matters so much as the length of the days. I know people who have kept their flytraps in the 60s or even 70s year round and the plants get sufficient rest if the days get shorter in the fall in winter. It's when growing too close to the tropics when there is no shortening of the days that seems to cause long-term problems.
By PiranhaPlanter1
Matt wrote:
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Matt can you explain a bit more? You said the traps won't go as dormant but will still get rest. What's the warnest it could be to give them rest without cold temps?
I've never lived that far south and have only seen photos and read a lot about people growing in that area, so all of this information is second-hand.

Having said that, I don't think it's the temperature that matters so much as the length of the days. I know people who have kept their flytraps in the 60s or even 70s year round and the plants get sufficient rest if the days get shorter in the fall in winter. It's when growing too close to the tropics when there is no shortening of the days that seems to cause long-term problems.
Okay that's good to know. Thank you.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
By jackjeckel
When the plant starts to come out of dormancy will the existing traps start growing again or will they blackout and die and new ones will sprout?
By Ltait1992
Dead or dormant?
Attachments:
Venus fly trap
Venus fly trap
15218539458432121389859.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 5356 times
By fluffy123
This is dead, it means this has no new growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!