FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By pkpowagirl
alright! soo im getting a venus flytrap soon and im preparing for everything :) i already know almost EVERYTHING about it, so no need to tell me wht they need and all tht stuff. i just need these specific questions answered ONLY!

1) FLOWER STALK: alright so i heard to cut this off, and replant it when it is about 2 inches. soo if i replant it and the little venus flytraps grow around it, will the flower stalk turn black and die away on it own? if it does, do i leave it like that or do i remove it because im uncertain tht it will affect the new plantlets. plz tell me wht to do!
NOW! if i want to KEEP the flower stalk if my flytrap is healthy and all, what do i have to do for it to flower and make seeds? do i feed anything to it while the stalk is growing (like insects), or do i just give it water the whole time with sunlight? ik how to pollinate and all tht stuff :) AFTER it flowers if i successfully do it and get the black seeds, wht happens to the flower stalk?? does it go away on it own, should i leave it there, or should i cut it off? and when am i able to feed the flytrap normally again, because idk how much energy it has.
PLZ PLZ PLZZZ give me instructions of how to do this. ik it isnt the best choice to let it flower, but if i make the decision, please tell me wht to do so my flytrap doesnt die.
3)ok this is a question tht has been "bugging" me (lol) for awhile. after the venus flytrap eats its meal and the corpse it left behind, how do i remove it? ill probably leave it there but how would i remove it easily without activating the trap?
4) LAST QUESTION: for the dormancy period, it gets really cold here in NY! idk if its safe for my flytrap to be outside. i CANNOT put it in the fridge unless i want my mom getting furious with me :P should i put it in my garage? basement? the garage is pretty cold too so idk about tht.. and does it need sunlight during dormancy or just water?

ty soo much everyone! :D
By stitz25b
the questrion to everythig is found on the main site
:)
By pieguy452
pkpowagirl wrote: 1) FLOWER STALK: alright so i heard to cut this off, and replant it when it is about 2 inches. soo if i replant it and the little venus flytraps grow around it, will the flower stalk turn black and die away on it own? if it does, do i leave it like that or do i remove it because im uncertain tht it will affect the new plantlets. plz tell me wht to do!
Once the flower stalk has turned black and no longer has any green on it, you can cut it off.
pkpowagirl wrote:NOW! if i want to KEEP the flower stalk if my flytrap is healthy and all, what do i have to do for it to flower and make seeds? do i feed anything to it while the stalk is growing (like insects), or do i just give it water the whole time with sunlight? ik how to pollinate and all tht stuff :) AFTER it flowers if i successfully do it and get the black seeds, wht happens to the flower stalk?? does it go away on it own, should i leave it there, or should i cut it off? and when am i able to feed the flytrap normally again, because idk how much energy it has.
When the flower stalk no longer contains any green on it, then you should cut it off. If it still has green on it, then it can still perform photosynthesis and produce energy for the plant. Also, I would wait a few weeks after the flower stalk dies before I feed it anything, but feeding the plant is not necessary at all.
pkpowagirl wrote:3)ok this is a question tht has been "bugging" me (lol) for awhile. after the venus flytrap eats its meal and the corpse it left behind, how do i remove it? ill probably leave it there but how would i remove it easily without activating the trap?
You could get a spray bottle and spray the remains off the traps, but if you leave them on they may attract things like spiders (more food for the flytrap :) )
pkpowagirl wrote:4) LAST QUESTION: for the dormancy period, it gets really cold here in NY! idk if its safe for my flytrap to be outside. i CANNOT put it in the fridge unless i want my mom getting furious with me :P should i put it in my garage? basement? the garage is pretty cold too so idk about tht.. and does it need sunlight during dormancy or just water?

If it doesn't get below freezing, then I would say the garage if it has a window. Either one works, as long as the temperature stays in the range of 32-55 degrees, but flytraps can tolerate fluctuations of higher temperatures. Also, flytraps do not need sunlight during the winter, but it is not recommended to do so and will be much healthier if provided with light.
pieguy452 liked this
By magicwiser
pkpowagirl wrote: 3)ok this is a question tht has been "bugging" me (lol) for awhile. after the venus flytrap eats its meal and the corpse it left behind, how do i remove it? ill probably leave it there but how would i remove it easily without activating the trap?
I have a small pair of tweezers that I use to both feed the traps and then remove the remains. I usually only take out the largest chunk left though so there are always smaller remains to attract other bugs.
By Adam
Just yesterday I found an ant dislodging a digested fly. It backed right into another open trap! :) So I would recommend leaving the victims where they are.. they act as a lure for other victims!
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!