FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By iizbor3d
My flytrap is about to flower but i got it a year ago from amazon... I understand it is to late to cut off the stalk but will my plant die after its done (planning on making seeds)?
Also for dormancy i live in NewYork can i leave it in the window or on the table in the backyard?
Attachments:
Flytrap in window
Flytrap in window
IMG_0509.JPG (436.53 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Flytrap about to flower
Flytrap about to flower
IMG_0508.JPG (439.61 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
By pieguy452
It's never too late to cut off the stalk (unless of course it's flowering), leaving it will drain more energy from the plant. If you don't want any seeds, then you should cut it off. And New York may have winters that are too cold for flytraps, so right next to the window should be fine (as long as the windowsill is cooler than the rest of the room).

And welcome to flytrapcare!
By iizbor3d
Well im planing to attempt to get seeds because most of my friends want one now to but im just thinking it might die after it due to energy loss since it still looks young. Also for dormancy i mean to leave it in between the window and the screen so is that to cold or should i put it on the windowsill? It still gets cold in the house due to poor insulation. One more question should i re pot since its in that small original pot?
Thank you
By pieguy452
iizbor3d wrote:Well im planing to attempt to get seeds because most of my friends want one now to but im just thinking it might die after it due to energy loss since it still looks young.
It will be just fine after flowering and should resume normal growth shortly after.
iizbor3d wrote:Also for dormancy i mean to leave it in between the window and the screen so is that to cold or should i put it on the windowsill?
Either windowsill method will work as long as the temperature stays between 32-55 degrees fahrenheit.

iizbor3d wrote:One more question should i re pot since its in that small original pot?
Repotting would benefit the plant although it is not necessary and should still grow well with that pot.

If you have had the same soil for a year then replacing it would benefit the plant as well. If you would like to, you can read more about soil for flytraps here

http://www.flytrapcare.com/media-soil-f ... traps.html
pieguy452 liked this
By jamez
pieguy452 wrote:It's never too late to cut off the stalk (unless of course it's flowering), leaving it will drain more energy from the plant. If you don't want any seeds, then you should cut it off. And New York may have winters that are too cold for flytraps, so right next to the window should be fine (as long as the windowsill is cooler than the rest of the room).

And welcome to flytrapcare!

Yes it can be too late to cut it. After it gets past about 6' the plant has already given up a lot of energy and it would be foolish to cut it off then, since the plant already used some energy. If he cuts it not the growth will stall for 1-6 weeks.

-------------

The plant doesn't look that healthy, but it's not unhealthy, looks like it could use more light.

The stalk is thin, which usually indicates the 1st year of flowering for a flytrap which then does not produce too many seeds and viability is lower. Maybe like 5 or ten. I don't think seeds would be a good choice for beginners or someone just starting. They would be better off with plants. Anyways, seeds take 3-5+ years to mature depending on their heritage(if they are grown out of tissue culture which is also something not for beginners). And by 3 years(as the very minimum) they would only be the size of the one you have now provided that they have good light, conditions and a dormancy every winter.
By iizbor3d
It gets enough sunlight in my opinion its just a rainy day today in the mornings it gets direct sunlight for maybe 4-7 hours
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!