FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Erik Pottas
I have a venus fly trap and its turning black. After feeding it! And some will die with them (not all of them)
It has enough light (definitly) Not over feeding it! And also im giving it enough water! What else could it be, it did close randomly (probably water drops) So is it too much energie used?! It is almost fully grown. And hasnt eaten too much,it has eaten 2 times its intire life so....thats not the problem, what could it be? Im feeding it bloodworms. And it does digest it but before it opens it dies? Please help
By Cross
How big are the chunks of worms? Is it in a dormancy state? How much water are you giving it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By Erik Pottas
Its not yet dormancy. Its standing in 5 cm water. And I did feed one to big of a worm but why would the others die?
By Cross
You have it standing in water? Im still fairly new to vfts, but they need to be moist, not sopping. The traps will turn black if you over water.

By Erik Pottas
It may be over feeding? Because right after one opens I feed another. Is that overfeeding?
By Cross
Erik Pottas wrote:It may be over feeding? Because right after one opens I feed another. Is that overfeeding?
Possible, but I doubt it. I feed about three traps on my larger ones. Are you sure you're not over watering, that will kill them quick.

By CarnivorousChick
Erik Pottas wrote:It may be over feeding? Because right after one opens I feed another. Is that overfeeding?
Yes that's overfeeding. Fly traps can go a long time without "eating". They just need the proper light source to keep their vigor.
Do you have it inside? Because if it is outside, there is no need at all to feed your plant... it'll catch enough on its own. If you do prefer to feed it, if it's an inside plant, only once a month will do. Don't feed it anything the trap can't fully close around.
Also I agree on the standing water thing. Fly traps shouldn't be kept in standing water. The only time that varies, is if you live somewhere with extreme heat and your soil medium is drying out from morning to afternoon. Then it's ok for it to stand in a little water during the heat of the day.
Traps just naturally die and turn black. It's a Fly Traps natural process. Clip them off and keep going.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
By Doublebass1985
Erik Pottas wrote:Thanks but how often should I water my plant,daily? Also I grow them indoors.

It depends everyone's situation is different when someone might need to water once a day someone else might need to water once every 3 days. Just keep the media damp and if it does happen to dry out just try to catch it before it's been dried out for too long cuz that will start to kill off your plant. Your the only one who knows the answer to your question. How long does your plant stay moist until it starts drying up? Then you know how often you need to water.
By Fieldofscreams
The only thing I don't agree with is the "over feeding", you cant over feed these plants. In nature who stops the plant from "over feeding"? If it was detrimental these plants wouldn't exist in nature.

As far as watering its my opinion that most growers over water them. You want the soil barely moist and never wet. You have to experiment to figure out what works for you in your climate to achieve that.

How I do it is I wait until the pots are so light that when I pick them up they feel almost empty, like there is nothing in the pot at all. I then put them in a big tray and pour in water. I wait until the pots cant suck in anymore water and then I remove them from the tray and start the process over letting them almost completely dry out.

By keeping the soil almost dry, 10-12 hours of direct sun, using only NZLFSM, using only white pots and them having a prey item in every trap almost 24/7 this is what happens:
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Fieldofscreams wrote:The only thing I don't agree with is the "over feeding", you cant over feed these plants. In nature who stops the plant from "over feeding"? If it was detrimental these plants wouldn't exist in nature.
I don't know, maybe the population of the insects available? Maybe Venus Flytraps in the wild wouldn't always have access to a large amount of insects all the time and would eventually evolve to only tolerate a certain amount of insects?

But that's just a possible line of reasoning, your plants seem to get a lot of food and don't seem to suffer. I've even had some of my plants catch things in almost every singe trap and the most that would happen to them is a black leaf. They never seem to get significantly setback by any amount of food.

However, I believe that excessive feeding to a flytrap that was say, unhealthy or adjusting to it's current conditions could be detrimental. As the plant doesn't have the energy to digest a lot of insects or is instead investing that energy into growing in accordance to it's new environment. Erik, if you have just recently purchased your plant this may be the case. Wait a little while (a couple of weeks at least), focus on giving your plants the best conditions it has, and feed it again. You should see it digesting the insects no problem.
By Erik Pottas
Thx for all the help guys, really appreciate it!!! Btw its almost christmas hope youre all treating youre plants for christmas
By Fieldofscreams
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:I don't know, maybe the population of the insects available? Maybe Venus Flytraps in the wild wouldn't always have access to a large amount of insects all the time and would eventually evolve to only tolerate a certain amount of insects?
That would make sense if you could find a peer reviewed study showing Wilmington North Carolina being massively insect deficient compared to other parts of the world. Then you could logically say that over feeding is possible but even then there would be too many variables to even make an educated guess let alone a statement of fact.

My plants traps are closed 24/7 during the growing season. It makes taking pictures incredibly difficult when all the traps are closed constantly, doesn't make for good pictures. I always have to watch for that small moment when most traps are open and that doesn't last long so I have to act fast and get some pics. So far that has been the only negative.

I see this "over feeding" thing talked about often and yet not one shred of evidence to support it.
By Cross
But you can't point that as proof either. Is it possible that because his plant was deprived of food, that it tainted the results? Perhaps it did not get as much light as needed, and it finally burned through the energy in the rhizome. As mentioned above, a few of us 'overfeed' our traps and they grow great. I can see if a plant is unhealthy. It wouldn't be able to properly produce to digest the insect. So, in that case I can see it killing them. But not in a normal, healthy plant.

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!