FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
Is the name D. Capensis 'Alba' even a valid name? From my quick internet research, it appears that its not a registered cultivar. The problem is that pretty much all the plants I have seen are named this seemingly invalid name.

The only white form cultivar is Drosera 'albino', which is described as completely lacking anthocyanins, but don't all white plants develop pink tentacles under intense lighting? In that case, the cultivar description http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpdb/C ... _id=173581 would be incorrect.

So here's the question, what are you meant to label a white Drosera capensis?
By Daniel_G
I think that 'alba' just appeared as a shortened version of Albino. In any case, my Alba is completely lacking in Anthocyanin, so i believe the Description to be correct
By jht-union
I am glad this was brought up, so which one is correct because I have send d. Capensis albino and d. Capensis alba to people, and the source I got it from said it was d. Capensis albino which was different from d. Capensis alba.
:?
By Steve_D
I believe that "alba" (sometimes "album") comes from the latin word for white, and indicates a plant that lacks production of the organic red dye anthocyanin, which can create several colors from orange to red to purple to blue (the color of which is often influenced by the pH of the soil or plant). There are alba or album versions of many common and not so common garden plants.
Steve_D liked this
By Snap Traps
I just want to bring this 2 months old post back into discussion again. So, is alba and albino's difference in name the same as Justina Davis and all green form (vfts)?

Also, according to growsundews.com, it can produce pink tentacles under intense lighting which means to say that it does not lack anthocyanin. This is also true under my observations.

I would say that the plant lacks only half of its anthocyanin which is why it need intense light to colour up.
By GothicJackalPaws
"Alba" is just another word for "white".

Like "linea alba" means "white line".

It's not short for albino. It literally just means "white".

As for ahwat everyone else said, there appears to be two different sorts of plants-- one that's an alba, another that's an albino. How or why this occured, I'm still scratching my head...
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!