FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Darsh85
Hi everyone, I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but I'd like a little advice please.
I'm going away for 5 days next week and I have a mini bog with approx 20L of substrate in it containing traps and Sarrs. I water it through a pipe that reaches a 2cm deep reservoir so it should get water through the bottom evenly.
We've been having a heatwave recently with 35c (95f) weather. We had a very short rain this morning and temperature dropped to 25c. When I'm away the forecast is between 27 and 31c (80-88f) which isn't crazy but it's enough to dry up my reservoir, maybe not in one day but for sure two.
Ive let it dry out before for a day and the surface stayed moist so I'm pretty confident in the watering system.
Worse case scenario is it dries up in one day then spends 4 days without a top up. Also, it's possible the forecast isn't right and the temperature rises again.
I'd prefer to leave them outside, but which do you think is better? Risk it outside or bring it inside on the windowsill?
By jackjeckel
Find a friend, relative, neighbor, or coworker you can count on and just have them come over and water it once a day or worse case scenario every 2 days.
By Darsh85
Sorry, people can't be trusted with even simple instructions when it comes to taking care of something they know nothing about.
I've learnt that with fishtanks haha.
By Nightbreed
See if you can find a fellow cp lover in your area on Facebook or here.
By Darsh85
Thanks for the comment but even if I met someone today I wouldn't give them the keys to my place after 4 days haha.
I prefer to be self reliable, I just need a little advice, that's all ;)
By Big-Jack
I would just water it real well before you leave and give it some partial shade like under a tree or something.
Big-Jack liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
I think your plants will be ok outside but ask yourself this question: Will you worry about your plants while you are gone if they remain outside? If "yes" then bring them inside, if "no" then listen to Big-Jack.
Huntsmanshorn liked this
By Darsh85
Thanks for the opinions guys. For sure I'll check the weather here when I'm away and if it's hot I will worry haha.
The last few days have been pleasant so if it stays the same I'll just leave them.
Thanks for everyone's input!
By jackjeckel
Darsh85 wrote:Thanks for the comment but even if I met someone today I wouldn't give them the keys to my place after 4 days haha.

I thought you said the pants were outside.
By Darsh85
jackjeckel wrote:
Darsh85 wrote:Thanks for the comment but even if I met someone today I wouldn't give them the keys to my place after 4 days haha.

I thought you said the pants were outside.
On my balcony ;)

Anyway, the wife decided that all of the plants on the balcony need to come in. Problem solved ;)
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!