FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Adam Miller wrote:In my area the UV Index is 3 or 4 on average. Is this enough to get nice color?
It's totally possible. The red coloration varies on a lot of different factors -- total light intensity, UV intensity, temperature, and genetics. It's hard to say exactly, but in the winter, my normal UV index is around that and my flytraps are plenty colorful then.
bananaman liked this
By Adam Miller
bananaman wrote:
Adam Miller wrote:In my area the UV Index is 3 or 4 on average. Is this enough to get nice color?
It's totally possible. The red coloration varies on a lot of different factors -- total light intensity, UV intensity, temperature, and genetics. It's hard to say exactly, but in the winter, my normal UV index is around that and my flytraps are plenty colorful then.
Can typicals get deep red
By bananaman
Adam Miller wrote: Can typicals get deep red
There’s many, many different clones of “typical” flytraps, so they vary a lot. They usually won’t get red outside of the traps, but the trap interiors often can get quite dark on some. Some don’t get all that dark. Others might even get red cilia or a red blush on the trap exterior with enough light, but you can expect most to be green with red trap interiors.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!