FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By woowoo
Hi I really would like to get some Utricularia anyone know of a good one for a window sill, Looking for unusual looking ones and would like a yellow one. Are Terrestrial ones easier to grow/flower?

Any help would be great :)

Thanks Fiona.
By linton
Terrestrial Utric Caresheet

keep wet, do not allow to dry out.

That's it.

Utrics will be happy in low light conditions where other CP's may struggle and because of their small size they grow well in small containers and lend themselves well to windowsill culture. U.livida and U.sandersonni are great plants for the beginner, excercise caution with U.subulata as it can become a weed.
linton liked this
By RL7836
EmzyT wrote:u.livida and u.sandersonni are supposed to be particulary gd on the windowsill.
Both are great plants, very adaptable to the windowsill & will bloom a lot for you. While there are many others (as Moof noted), these two are very easy to grow & flower & are widely available.
EmzyT wrote:Also u.subulata. They have bright sulphur yellow flowers!
Personally, I wouldn't recommend either subulata or bisquamata to anyone. Their tiny seeds end up everywhere. While you might not care now - & even think it's cute, you'll care when you can't get rid of them & some people refuse to even trade with you because of the 'infection'. :shock:

If you want larger foliage, try U. longifolia. While it can be shy about flowering, when it decides to reward you - wow! My 2 windowsill plants have been blooming since April 1st and still have 4 blooms!

FYI - Pics of flowers & foliage of the 3 plants mentioned are in my growlist.
RL7836 liked this
By moof
RL7836 wrote:]Personally, I wouldn't recommend either subulata or bisquamata to anyone. Their tiny seeds end up everywhere. While you might not care now - & even think it's cute, you'll care when you can't get rid of them & some people refuse to even trade with you because of the 'infection'. :shock:
Totally agree. That sh*t gets everywhere and infects other pots:/ a big problem in my U.dichotoma and U.aureomaculata pots, I'm still trying to get rid of them... As long as these are the only utrics you want to keep, they're OK. But if you want a larger collection - avoid them as much as possible.

By the way - I never bought nor traded for U.subulata/U.bisquamata. I received some accidentally infected pots... and they spreaded out
By woowoo
If you want larger foliage, try U. longifolia. While it can be shy about flowering, when it decides to reward you - wow! My 2 windowsill plants have been blooming since April 1st and still have 4 blooms!

Yeah i have a U.longifolia and it is shy but hoping one day it will flower (only had it for 5 mounths)

Utricularia bisquamata is that a very small flower i think that is in my cape sundew it was in there when i got the plant.
Whats your view on Utricularia praelonga??

Thanks Fiona.
By RL7836
woowoo wrote:Whats your view on Utricularia praelonga??
I don't have experience growing it on a windowsill yet - but it's going there soon (mine came as a volunteer in another pot of utrics). It's in the same section as longifolia (section Foliosa) and definitely perked up its growth when I provided conditions longifolia likes (very wet). While it is famously shy about flowering, it does have 2 very different / distinct leaf types - which adds to it's interest.

Another utric to consider is U. nephrophylla. It's a very easy grower with a beautiful white flower with 2 large 'eyes'. It's the smallest and easiest-to-grow of the Orchidioides section (a group of utrics with large orchid-like blooms). I absolutely love the blooms... ;)
RL7836 liked this
By moof
U.praelonga grows like a weed, a friend of mine keeps it even outside under a shade cloth, and it's doing well. It can be kept on the windowsill for sure.
moof liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!