FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Anymal911
I was just wondering... Do all Utricularia form turions when they go dormant, or only fully aquatic species? If so, how do terrestrial and semi-aquatic Utrics go dormant?
By w03
Not all Utricularia form turions. One of the main things to consider is whether they even have dormancy. Only species that encounter seasonally harsh conditions in their native habitat (e.g. cold winters, extremely hot and dry summers, etc) will go dormant. In fact, there's many more species of CP's that don't go dormant at all than there are species that do go dormant.

Most terrestrial Utricularia originating from relatively stable climates in Asia, subtropical Africa, and South America, generally don't encounter anything bad enough to necessitate dormancy, so they simply haven't evolved a means to do so. On top of that, many of the ones that do encounter harsh conditions are annuals in the wild, so they just set seed and die before going dormant. Considering this, the vast majority of terrestrial Utricularia simply don't go dormant at all.

An exception to this is U. menziesii, which goes dormant over the summer as tubers. Epiphytic Utricularia also weather dry seasons in their natural habitat as tubers.
w03 liked this
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!