FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By RL7836
moof wrote:kitty they sometimes need a few days to open:) so just wait
If it's U. subulata - they may never open or just open partially - depending on their conditions & mood. :roll: This species is famous for cleistogamous flowers so many people assume that it's a moss and not a flowering plant.

Both U. subulata & U. bisquamata are very prolific with their seed distribution and can be quite difficult to eradicate once entrenched. :o while many enjoy the little guys, if you're trying to keep your utrics separated (or any of your CPs), they can be a problem. I just received a U. subulata hitchhiker in a new pot of U. reniformis 'small form'. Now, I'll be trying to start new reniformis cultures that do not include the invader... :x
RL7836, RL7836 liked this
By kittyklaws
Cool! Thanks for the info RL7836 :D
Yea, they've already infiltrated a my VFT pots, as you can see from the photos :lol: but I don't mind. Good luck with your U. reniformis cultures! :)
By moof
Ron I know how annoying is that... I've got a rare U.dichotoma from jamension invaded with U.lateriflora:/
By limeslide
moof wrote:Ron I know how annoying is that... I've got a rare U.dichotoma from jamension invaded with U.lateriflora:/
Lol, my U. sandersonii got invaded by cleistogamous U. subulata. I pluck the flowers when I see them emerging. The sandersonii is no more, melted during shipping.
By moof
That's a big problem, that's why I'm avoiding U.subulata and such species in my collection. I also try to keep at least 1cm of space between the pots in my terrarium.
By RL7836
moof wrote:That's a big problem, that's why I'm avoiding U.subulata and such species in my collection. I also try to keep at least 1cm of space between the pots in my terrarium.
Completely agree! Neither subulata nor bisquamata are welcome in my house. The handful of little weedy guys I do grow (sandersonii, livida, graminifolia, warburgii, etc) are in their own tank - just in case... ;)
By linton
It's definitely a Utric, and it's probably there to stay. Most likely subulata, some of the first flowers to open on the stalks often look a bit misshapen.
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!