FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Crazy4plants
Hi everyone,

So I just found out that the clay pot I was using for some pigmies can leach nutrients into the soil. I was wondering if they need a complete soil change or can I just change the pot? There are many babies from gemmae around the edge of the pot that would make the transplant very difficult, and a soil change would be almost impossible without disturbing them.

thanks
By Sakaaaaa
Although they CAN leech minerals into the soil you can flush out minerals with distilled water. What type of clay is it? Red clay or "clay body"? See here
By Crazy4plants
Sakaaaaa wrote:Although they CAN leech minerals into the soil you can flush out minerals with distilled water. What type of clay is it? Red clay or "clay body"? See here
I think it is Red Clay. It exhibits the white stains around the edge that are mentioned in that post, is that a sure indicator? My main concern is that the pot was used with regular garden soil several years ago. It was never fertilized, but it was sure to come into contact with minerals. Would these all come out as "blooms" or go into the soil?

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!