Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
User Avatar
klick

 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:19 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by klick » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 am

Hi,

Thanks for the very informative post! Now I know why some of my trap dies when they ate some bugs. Yea, I have some traps that looks "burnt". Was wondering why.

Fortunately, my area has a LOT OF FLIES. So my traps are very well fed. Problem are all the "bodies" lying around all over my plants. They look disgusting and seemed to hinder the plant from their next meal. (Some of traps have 2 flies in them) Should I remove them manually?

Klick.

User Avatar
TS 1989

 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:02 pm
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Thanked: 68 times in 58 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by TS 1989 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:20 pm

klick wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the very informative post! Now I know why some of my trap dies when they ate some bugs. Yea, I have some traps that looks "burnt". Was wondering why.

Fortunately, my area has a LOT OF FLIES. So my traps are very well fed. Problem are all the "bodies" lying around all over my plants. They look disgusting and seemed to hinder the plant from their next meal. (Some of traps have 2 flies in them) Should I remove them manually?

Klick.

Not necessary. Removing the exoskeleton may trigger the traps, and there is no harm leaving them on.


diehard Swift & Minaj fan; paranoid overthinker; crazy plant enthusiast

User Avatar
Rolo Beorn

 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:27 am
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by Rolo Beorn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:26 am

TS 1989 wrote:
klick wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the very informative post! Now I know why some of my trap dies when they ate some bugs. Yea, I have some traps that looks "burnt". Was wondering why.

Fortunately, my area has a LOT OF FLIES. So my traps are very well fed. Problem are all the "bodies" lying around all over my plants. They look disgusting and seemed to hinder the plant from their next meal. (Some of traps have 2 flies in them) Should I remove them manually?

Klick.

Not necessary. Removing the exoskeleton may trigger the traps, and there is no harm leaving them on.

When it's dry enough, you can blow the exoskeleton away.

User Avatar
jordonsee

 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:55 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by jordonsee » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:30 am

Is feeding dried bloodworms a good source of food to vft's?

User Avatar
stevelau1911

 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 am
Thanked: 21 times in 21 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by stevelau1911 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:02 pm

I've been feeding mine a steady diet of earwigs, and sometimes spiders. They have caught a few flies on their own, but I try to keep all, but 1 or 2 traps fed in order to keep them growing optimally. My traps have gone from looking dormant, to starting to finally make longer traps with the 400 watt metal halide, only 1-2ft away, and bigger traps.

Here's my DCXLs, All but 1 of mine from before ended up dying because someone watered them with tap water, but now they have been sent from my parent's house to my place, and that solo survivor, looks like it is doing well here. It went from 4 traps, to working on getting up 7 now in 12 days. I ended up purchasing a new DCXL because I wanted to fill out my pot quicker. All these pictures were taken July 4th, and July 16th respectively showing the increase in number of traps and trap size.

Before: This was my original DXCL
Image
After: This is looking much more healthy now, progressively making bigger and bigger traps each time.
Image



I just purchased this one a couple of weeks ago. This DXCL looks quite a bit different than my original in that it was lighter, and had an overall different shape, but it's traps are pretty big, and progressively getting bigger.
Before
Image
After: They look darker too, now that they are exposed to strong light.
Image




Here's the G16 which doesn't look quite as impressive, but it should come along after the initial shock. I have split it apart from the parts which appeared to be wilting away to hopefully see if the old stuff recovers, and the new stuff keeps growing uninterrupted.
Before
Image
After
Image

User Avatar
stevelau1911

 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 am
Thanked: 21 times in 21 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by stevelau1911 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:50 am

My G16 fly trap was wilting away in it's old medium so I moved it to some new peat moss, and I'm hoping it will come back. I think it may have had soil in the nutrients in the container that it came from.

My DCXLs are have made more growth than ever in the past 2 weeks, and there's a strike on the original rhizome that produced the trap on the left which I removed a couple weeks ago. It should grow very quickly once it gets going. Are they accelerating their growth simply because they are coming out of dormancy? The one on the left has it's largest trap at 1.4 inches and the one on the right has one at 1.1 inches, and I've been keeping 1-2 traps fed with earwigs at all times, not to overload the plants. If they keep getting bigger, I may have to up the feeding regime.

Image

I'm so excited when I see new strikes. I'm hoping my 3 pullings that I did a few days ago make strikes this quickly.
Image

User Avatar
TS 1989

 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:02 pm
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Thanked: 68 times in 58 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by TS 1989 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 am

stevelau1911 wrote:My G16 fly trap was wilting away in it's old medium so I moved it to some new peat moss, and I'm hoping it will come back. I think it may have had soil in the nutrients in the container that it came from.

My DCXLs are have made more growth than ever in the past 2 weeks, and there's a strike on the original rhizome that produced the trap on the left which I removed a couple weeks ago. It should grow very quickly once it gets going. Are they accelerating their growth simply because they are coming out of dormancy? The one on the left has it's largest trap at 1.4 inches and the one on the right has one at 1.1 inches, and I've been keeping 1-2 traps fed with earwigs at all times, not to overload the plants. If they keep getting bigger, I may have to up the feeding regime.

Image

I'm so excited when I see new strikes. I'm hoping my 3 pullings that I did a few days ago make strikes this quickly.
Image

When emerging from dormancy, the plant usually starts off slowly then suddenly, the growth will explode.


diehard Swift & Minaj fan; paranoid overthinker; crazy plant enthusiast

User Avatar
stevelau1911

 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:53 am
Thanked: 21 times in 21 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by stevelau1911 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:26 am

Once they get to a certain size, will they be bound to start splitting into more plants, or do they keep getting bigger for the given season?

I only did 3 leaf pullings off rotting leaves on the bigger one since they would have rotted away anyways, but I intend to keep feeding them to try and get them as big as possible. Perhaps I could get 2 inch traps. These are only about a foot away from the 400 watt metal halide bulb so they are getting very strong direct light consistently.

User Avatar
Tarzanus

 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:52 pm
Thanked: 50 times in 45 posts

Re: Usage of nitrogen, insect types, trap size, flowering

by Tarzanus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Traps will only grow up to a point. Depends on the genetic material how large it will grow, feeding only helps it to get there.

Previous

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests