FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
No need to panic. Days are seconds in a plant's life :) you have all the time you need to read up and do the right thing. Don't rush any of this.

Welcome to parenthood! :)
By Matt
adymitruk wrote:No need to panic. Days are seconds in a plant's life :) you have all the time you need to read up and do the right thing. Don't rush any of this.

Welcome to parenthood! :)
Well said Adam!
By Zilzilii
Ok, I am calming down. I'm taking more pictures of what I've done with the light and with the cutting I did. I'd like to see what you guys think. It will take a few mins or so.
By Zilzilii
Ok, here is the new set up I have for them. I put a little moss around the edges of the soil. I cut the flower stems (the ones I could identify at least) and cut off all the black heads that I could find. Is the light close enough?

By Matt
Looks like a pretty good setup! ;)

When spring comes you can of course move them outdoors. Put them in a shady location for a week or so, then a somewhat shady place for another week and then you can move them to full sunlight and watch them go crazy!
By Aging_Bourbon
well its based on how much wavelength the light gives an how much the plant get to go through photosynthesis so the plant gets enough energy an florescent tubes provide some of the wavelength that the plants needs
By Zilzilii
I went out and got a 120 watt plant light bulb. It is really big and I have it hanging over the two pots of VFTs.

I'm really hoping they will do better now.

Thank you all for the help.
By Adam
In the Photos forum, take a look at my setup. You can see that I hung tin foil around the light to reflect even more light on the plants. There is tin foil on the underneath side of the top of the shelf reflecting light downwards as well. You can even do better with Maylar (forgot the real spelling - anyone?) which is usually used in aquarium backing or to make the shiny helium balloons you see in flower shops.
By Adam
Here is an example of why 16hrs+ of the strongest artificial light is needed for VFTs. Take a look at the size of the newest traps and compare that to the size of the oldest. Only the real sun can grow VFTs best. But the artificial lights certainly do give the traps the best colour.
almost open new trap next to oldest
almost open new trap next to oldest
IMG_3979.JPG (46.47 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
all new traps emerging are smaller
all new traps emerging are smaller
IMG_3980.JPG (55.93 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
By Adam
Matt,

Is there a way to do away with the scroll bars in the photos? I only uploaded 640X400 photos and I still got the scroll bars.. Or should I just link to flickr.com or something like that?

Adam
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!