FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By CarnigirlB52
Posts:  16
Joined:  Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm
#312343
I'm not sure what kind of sundew this is in my bog garden. It came with one of my sarracenia pitcher plants. And would like a confirmation on the ID of the little ones around it. I believe they are D. intermedia...ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Shadowtski
Posts:  4061
Joined:  Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am
#312344
CarnigirlB52 wrote:I'm not sure what kind of sundew this is in my bog garden. It came with one of my sarracenia pitcher plants. And would like a confirmation on the ID of the little ones around it. I believe they are D. intermedia...ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Those are some interesting looking plants.
The first one looks like Drosera filiformis, possibly D. tracyii. They are both Threadleaf Sundews.
They look similar except for coloration and size.
D. filiformis has red glands (With adequate light) and grows 6 to 9 inches tall.
D. tracyii has all Green glands and grows 12 to 15 inches tall.

The second picture looks like a hybrid, rather than pure Drosera intermedia.
D. intermedia usually has a much thinner petiole.
It could be a filiformis/intermedia hybrid.
Wait until Summer and take a new picture when its form is stable.
It should be easier to ID then.
Right now, it's coming out of dormancy.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
User avatar
By CarnigirlB52
Posts:  16
Joined:  Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm
#312345
Shadowtski wrote:
CarnigirlB52 wrote:I'm not sure what kind of sundew this is in my bog garden. It came with one of my sarracenia pitcher plants. And would like a confirmation on the ID of the little ones around it. I believe they are D. intermedia...ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Those are some interesting looking plants.
The first one looks like Drosera filiformis, possibly D. tracyii. They are both Threadleaf Sundews.
They look similar except for coloration and size.
D. filiformis has red glands (With adequate light) and grows 6 to 9 inches tall.
D. tracyii has all Green glands and grows 12 to 15 inches tall.

The second picture looks like a hybrid, rather than pure Drosera intermedia.
D. intermedia usually has a much thinner petiole.
It could be a filiformis/intermedia hybrid.
Wait until Summer and take a new picture when its form is stable.
It should be easier to ID then.
Right now, it's coming out of dormancy.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Thank you Mike!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2074
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#312347
I would say the first one is almost certainly filiformis. I can already see the tentacle color. I'm wondering if the second one might actually be rotundifolia but intermedia or an intermedia hybrid would be more likely. It will be easier to tell once the plant has produced a few more leaves.
User avatar
By CarnigirlB52
Posts:  16
Joined:  Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm
#312366
fluffy123 wrote:That sundew is a Drosera filiformis.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! Image

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By CarnigirlB52
Posts:  16
Joined:  Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm
#312480
nimbulan wrote:I would say the first one is almost certainly filiformis. I can already see the tentacle color. I'm wondering if the second one might actually be rotundifolia but intermedia or an intermedia hybrid would be more likely. It will be easier to tell once the plant has produced a few more leaves.
Thank you nimbulan! I now agree too on the identity of my noid sundew. Lol. I had never seen a Filiformis coming out of it hibernacula before, as I am fairly new to this joyous hobby!
Hmmm....an intermedia hybrid? That would be awesome! Rotundifolia would also be great too. I had agree with, I think it was Mike, that said intermedia normally has thinner petioles. Going to go study some pics of rotundifolia. Lol.
Thanks
-Carni GirlB52

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
By ZeGamingCuber
Posts:  59
Joined:  Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:55 pm
#316746
fluffy123 wrote:That sundew is a Drosera filiformis.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That looks completely different than drosera filiformis. Filiformis has long thread-like leaves with no petioles.
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#316783
ZeGamingCuber wrote:
fluffy123 wrote:That sundew is a Drosera filiformis.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That looks completely different than drosera filiformis. Filiformis has long thread-like leaves with no petioles.
Looks a lot like filiformis to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By ZeGamingCuber
Posts:  59
Joined:  Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:55 pm
#316805
boarderlib wrote:
ZeGamingCuber wrote:
fluffy123 wrote:That sundew is a Drosera filiformis.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That looks completely different than drosera filiformis. Filiformis has long thread-like leaves with no petioles.
Looks a lot like filiformis to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
no this is what filiformis looks like
Attachments:
download.jpg
download.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#316912
ZeGamingCuber wrote:
boarderlib wrote:
ZeGamingCuber wrote: That looks completely different than drosera filiformis. Filiformis has long thread-like leaves with no petioles.
Looks a lot like filiformis to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
no this is what filiformis looks like
No this is what filiformis should look like. The one on the left, middle is red, back right is tracyii, but thanks for playing anywaysImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By ZeGamingCuber
Posts:  59
Joined:  Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:55 pm
#316917
I guess that image that I found is a bad image? edit: Yes, that's a hybrid between drosera intermedia and drosera filiformis.
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#317048
Yep, that's the hybrid more commonly known as hybrida. It's a great little hybrid to grow too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

People who think that reptilian creatures are tr[…]

Care for N. Northiana?

Peter D'Amato of The Savage Garden fame says to […]

Lightbulbs

When I get home later I will show you a very simpl[…]

Sent SASE today. I put a sticky note on inside lis[…]

Cephalotus growth rate

It isn't just the dosage of maxsea that makes me w[…]

Order received. Your order number is 0083. I'll PM[…]

Wow two giveaway wins today! Thanks for doing the […]

Capensis Root Cutting Giveaway

Thanks for the giveaway, 3 was the lucky number :[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!