FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By riveraXVX
all photoshop all the time.

Image*a few sickly ones here were purchased known to look this way and as they arrived they are now beautiful also.

we (kid and I) knew absolutely nothing about growing fly traps going on our 2nd year of growing now this April when we started out. We learned a considerable amount from folks on this forum who not only helped us learn the ins and outs, took the time to answer questions bugging them, won free stuff in giveaways, took a part in the seed program, and went from 4 lonely venus fly traps to a small army of healthy and vibrant plants from almost all genus' of carnivorous plants.

I do agree the internet is a wash for varying and conflicting information, but I can say for sure with very very few exceptions most of the growers on this forum want to help you succeed and none of us are here to try to sabotage your plant. you were given short instructions on what to do and you didn't follow the advice, then you came back on here lambasting both the members of the site as well as Matt/Leah who run FTS about how much you know and how you more or less do not trust anyone here and all of our "photoshopped" plants.

next time pay more attention to what your dad was doing then you could be like my 7 year old who will tell you that growing them in that jar is a poor choice.

anyways. do what you'd like still don't understand what you were trying to ask advice for since you already have it all figured out.
riveraXVX liked this
By SundewWolf
Your limited experince proves nothing. Instead of assuming it will grow great in a bottle after a few weeks of having it, it would be much better to listen to the forum’s consensus with multiple years of experience between us.
SundewWolf liked this
By Cross
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:A bright led at night and natural daylight

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hey, what lumens and Kelvin is it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
We can consider the daylight = zero because for the levels of sunlight you would need for your plant to grow well would turn the bottle into an oven.

Make sure your LED is high output suitable enough for growing plants.
By riveraXVX
even flytraps being well cared for don't "grow a lot every day" - either way I'm done here. you came here wanting to keep your plant alive, and help it grow strongly. you've refused to listen to anyone and acted like a jerk to people trying to help you. I'll save my advice/help for others who are open to learning and actually want their plants to thrive - you obviously do not care about that like you said in your first post.

edit to add: you are also the one that started with "coming at people" take your own advice kid.
By riveraXVX
the basic idea going from high humidity to lower humidity without setting the flytrap back is to slowly uncover the plant in the bottle its in now that would be harder (but see my notes below that the bottle won't be a good fit longterm anyway so I'd consider changing it out to something better). if staying in the bottle I'd likely just cut the top of the bottle off so it looks more like the round cubes they sometimes come in cover the top, then each day silghtly move the cover further off for around a week. you don't want to take the plant from being in a closed/100% environment and then just instantly pull it out, you want to harden it off by lowering the humidity gradually (sliding a cover off is an easy way to do so) worst case scenario if you do drop it too quickly? some existing leaves may die off, but once it settles in with proper sunlight/water it will continue to grow as normal. one thing they dont like is being constantly moved and constantly switched around. I'd find a suitable container (6" or taller) make sure you have enough medium to fill it, replant the plant in that and then just place it in a one gallon ziplock bag if you are concerned with humidity and then do the opening the bag over a few days. a gallon ziplock bag will give you a lot more room to deal with it and hopefully wont be as annoying for you and should close up fine

some other issues with the setup with the bottle there, is that flytrap roots generally grow long and downward vs spreading out far so they tend to like deeper pots - a 20 oz Styrofoam cup (or plastic 20 oz stadium giveaway style cup) is a good example for size that would be good, with the planting medium filling the container to the very top. the care guides here will detail more info along these lines and its what has worked well for us. we went from 4 venus flytraps and NO experience ever, to now having somewhere nearly 50 different cultivars, and a small army of seedlings we've grown from seeds collected from those plants.

but yes I'd ditch the bottle, replant into something it can stay in, bag it water it properly, give it properly light, prosper!
By Photo Synthesis
I'd just thought I'd chime in and reiterate what others have said: ditch the terrarium. Flytraps can grow perfectly fine without humidity, just as long as they get the water they need. As much as it pains me to admit it, if you're a senior in high school, then I've been growing these plants for much longer than you've been alive ( :? I'm in my 30s). Terrariums for growing flytraps do more harm than good. As it was pointed out, flytraps' roots only grow straight down. They don't spread out like most other plants do. For that reason alone, terariums should be avoided at all costs.

In my own experience, flytraps are better off when their roots are allowed to grow straight down in search for the water they need. This is why some people water their flytraps from the bottom, to entice them to grow ever longer roots. This is why I grow mine in self-watering pots with the small reservoir at the bottom. Just as long as I kept water in that reservoir, it didn't matter how hot it got outside.
20190303_033921.jpg
20190303_033921.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 3737 times
When my plants were growing outdoors, the temps easily climbed up into the triple digits. But as long as the tips of their roots were kept in water, then my flytraps couldn't care any less as to how hot it would get. They just keep on growing and eating like it was nothing. No terrarium required.
By Fishkeeper
Venus flytraps are from North and South Carolina. They don't need high humidity. All the humidity they need is the moisture coming off their medium.

I grow flytraps indoors, under a very bright grow light. They have nothing to provide additional humidity, and the air in here is very dry because of the heating system. They're fine.

You need to put your flytrap in a proper pot, and gently acclimate it to less humidity. Its growth may slow a bit at first, it needs to get used to the lower humidity, and then it will grow much better. This is how flytraps are known to grow well. I've met people in Texas who grow them outside in pots, and they do fine. They love the sun! And they most definitely are not terrarium plants.

If your flytrap's traps are wilting a lot, something is wrong. If you took it out of the humidity all of a sudden and it wilted, it wilted because of the sudden change. Plants don't like sudden change. That doesn't mean the change was bad, just that it was too fast. It's also possible that the plant is wilting like that because it's stretching, trying to reach more light, and is producing leaves too weak to hold themself up. That's very likely. There's no way it's getting enough light in that bottle.

Also, you shouldn't be giving it light 24 hours a day. Put the LED light over it during the day, and turn it off at night.

I've only had flytraps for a couple years, not 30+ like some of the people on this site, but mine seem pretty happy. They grow nice and fast, they have nice color and good shape, and they divide readily. I promise, that plant will be vastly happier in a deep pot in the brightest light you can give it. My suggestion is this: poke a hole in that bottle right now. Poke a new hole every day, then cut the top off in a few days. Gradually uncover the top more and more, and in a couple weeks, take the bottle off entirely. Pot it up in a nice, deep pot. Keep it indoors for now, in the brightest light you can muster. When spring comes, put it outside. I'd use one of those gigantic soda cups you get at drive-thrus to pot it, with drainage holes in the bottom. Put it in a tray of water about an inch deep. Start in the shade, then slowly move it to the sun. It may lose a leaf or two, but will grow back strong, vigorous, healthy leaves, and will look gorgeous in the sun. Flytraps love as much light as you can possibly give them. I keep mine 4" away from a very strong grow light, it's too bright for just about everything else, but they love it.

Your flytrap may not die right away if you keep it in that bottle. It'll die eventually without dormancy, and won't do very well in the meantime. If you want a healthy, happy flytrap, it needs to come out.
By omnipercp15
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:22 pm Image
That actually looks like the kind of plant that I would see at the hardware stores and shake my head in sadness about its growing conditions. However, I'm really glad that you kept at it and did not give up on the plant. I know many people who would have tossed a plant away if it was just down to one branch having a leaf. So kudos to you for continuing to give it TLC and having it grow again.
By omnipercp15
hollyhock wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:57 pm Thanks for sharing your progress. Congratulations. :D nice plant
As I understand it, Selten (the VFT) is another plant, not the one in the terrarium from 2019 posts.

I'd be curious to see the one from 2019 that was previously growing in the glass terrarium thing.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!