FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Not to mention that a majority of those Venus Flytraps at hardware stores like the Home Depot are almost always on the verge of dying. The flytrap care store not only sells flytraps that aren't dying, but healthy ones neatly potted up in nice soil. Although they can be expensive for some, the care they put into growing and packaging their plants makes up for it.

Joshua you seem to be pretty stubborn. I know you want your plant to live, and taking growing advice that goes against your personal experiences and research can feel risky, but keep in mind that most of us here have spent years learning and growing about these plants and are willing to help other people do the same. Trust some of the people here when they say that Venus Flytraps can do perfectly fine in humidity lower than 60% or without any kind of terrarium. Sure they probably could do well in ultra controlled conditions, but a lot of the time it can be detrimental and unnecessary. And with your plant being stuffed into a sealed jar, I doubt your plant will live for more than a week.

So do it your way I guess, just at least give it enough light.
By Cross
hollyhock wrote:I totally disagree that your plants are happy in that terrarium environment. :cry: Let's take a vote. These plants are dormant and have been totally frozen in their pot. Now they are in an unheated porch with probably 0 humidity at around freezing temperatures. Let's see what people think healthy looks like??
Ermagerd, those are gorgeous. What are they?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By hollyhock
I wish you all the best with your plant. Unfortunately for you it will never look like this or reach it's full potential :lol:

*Photo credit: Maggie Chen"
Attachments:
No terrarium necessary
No terrarium necessary
FB_IMG_1550812422187.jpg (420.19 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
By hollyhock
Mpott302 wrote:Uhh I was asking hollyhock what state they live in, not you. Also the way you’re acting is uncalled for. All anyone did was try to give you sound advice based on their own experience
I am in Michigan
By hollyhock
Cross wrote:
hollyhock wrote:I totally disagree that your plants are happy in that terrarium environment. :cry: Let's take a vote. These plants are dormant and have been totally frozen in their pot. Now they are in an unheated porch with probably 0 humidity at around freezing temperatures. Let's see what people think healthy looks like??

These are seed grown vfts. The crossed parents are Big vigorous x DCXL. They are 2 years old and just coming out of dormancy. Which is another thing that is necessary for the health of Venus flytraps.

By Cross
hollyhock wrote:
Cross wrote:

These are seed grown vfts. The crossed parents are Big vigorous x DCXL. They are 2 years old and just coming out of dormancy. Which is another thing that is necessary for the health of Venus flytraps.

Wow! If you ever sell a division, let me know. They're gorgeous.

By Mpott302
hollyhock wrote:
Mpott302 wrote:Uhh I was asking hollyhock what state they live in, not you. Also the way you’re acting is uncalled for. All anyone did was try to give you sound advice based on their own experience
I am in Michigan
And they survive the winter outside? That gives me a whole new perspective lol. I’m in DE and kept mine on a porch all winter. Maybe next year I’ll leave them out
By nicnep
I know it might be upsetting for those who are trying to help him but I actually have an ironic laugh at how the conversation can be so weird. The guy is probably a kid still. If he looks back at this conversation 4 years later he is likely to feel embarrassed. So, ... poor trap :/

Ps. @hollyhock those plants look amazing. I just got my first trap, G16, here in Shanghai ><
nicnep, nicnep, nicnep and 1 others liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
You've been acting kind of childish.
When people would disagree with you, you would get all defensive. Most of your posts where long meandering paragraphs with no punctuation. When I've seen people with 15 years of age on these forums have better typing etiquette.
By nicnep
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:
nicnep wrote:I know it might be upsetting for those who are trying to help him but I actually have an ironic laugh at how the conversation can be so weird. The guy is probably a kid still. If he looks back at this conversation 4 years later he is likely to feel embarrassed. So, ... poor trap :/

Ps. @hollyhock those plants look amazing. I just got my first trap, G16, here in Shanghai ><
I'm a senior not a kid

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Umm, ...

You only have 3x posts on this site the first one is from last September. It didn't take long for me to read your previous post and concluded that your 'story' makes no sense if you are an adult. (Not to mention your manner and writing style)

Just for your story alone, I don't see how you are not a kid.

Still, I don't really care that much. The conversation is just funny enough.

By the way, how is your trap doing now?

[edit] Oh yeah, senior-junior in school... Ok, I’m sticking to my first reply then. Some of us can be a bit stubborn like that sometimes as a teenager
Last edited by nicnep on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
By CpKid
if you're a senior (technically thats still young) you should listen to these people and show a bit of respect, especially if you asked a question that you wanted answered. They've been growing traps for years, and have always given me sound advice. just for the record, I'm turing 15 in a few days, and don't claim to know anything besides the basics on these.
Anyhow, good luck.
My 3 cents
CpKid liked this

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!