FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
Hey peeps, I've been looking into possibly getting a tuberous sundew. I know CC currently has some for sale, but I'm not a fan of their shipping costs. My question was more regarding the type of soil these plants prefer. From what I've sein, these prefer a peat:sand mix, but I don't have any sand with me. Would perlite be doable?

Also, does anyone have any "beginner" ones for sale?
By DeadlyCarnivore
Perlite is doable, the only "issue" is that when summer comes and they go dormant, the tubers can blend in with the perlite, depending in the species. Sand is easier because the tubers stand out in the fine grain sand and peat, plus they naturally grow in sandy environments in the wild.

CC does have high shipping costs, but their tuberous dews have always delivered quickly and in very nice shape, for me. You might be able to find tuberous dews for sale somewhere else online, like Ebay or here on the forums.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By DeadlyCarnivore
You can also probably find some Peltata complex seeds online, pretty easily. The Peltata complex are the easiest to grow from seed, and dont require stratification.

By chomato

DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Perlite is doable, the only "issue" is that when summer comes and they go dormant, the tubers can blend in with the perlite, depending in the species. Sand is easier because the tubers stand out in the fine grain sand and peat, plus they naturally grow in sandy environments in the wild.

CC does have high shipping costs, but their tuberous dews have always delivered quickly and in very nice shape, for me. You might be able to find tuberous dews for sale somewhere else online, like Ebay or here on the forums.

Thanks for the response. So perlite is doable other than possibly looking like a tuber. This isn't that big of a deal for me, but I understand.

As for CC, you're right. I've purchased some plants from them and they usually arrive in pretty good conditions. This time,, though, I'm adamant about possibly spending $30+ on a plant I might not be successful with, as it would be my first tuberous sundew. I've never ventured into Ebay, but I might give it a go. I'm still hopeful someone here will have something
By nimbulan
I personally recommend sand, but I've never actually tried perlite with tuberous sundews. CC's just about the only place that will be shipping actively growing plants, otherwise you'll need to start from seed. I will second starting with something in the peltata complex (peltata, hookeri, gracilis, gunniana, lunata, auriculata, yilgarnensis) since those will all germinate easily and the most common ones (generally hookeri and auriculata) can flower in their first growing season to produce some backup seeds for you.
By DeadlyCarnivore
chomato wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Perlite is doable, the only "issue" is that when summer comes and they go dormant, the tubers can blend in with the perlite, depending in the species. Sand is easier because the tubers stand out in the fine grain sand and peat, plus they naturally grow in sandy environments in the wild.

Thanks for the response. So perlite is doable other than possibly looking like a tuber. This isn't that big of a deal for me, but I understand.

As for CC, you're right. I've purchased some plants from them and they usually arrive in pretty good conditions. This time,, though, I'm adamant about possibly spending $30+ on a plant I might not be successful with, as it would be my first tuberous sundew. I've never ventured into Ebay, but I might give it a go. I'm still hopeful someone here will have something
I understand not wanting to spend a lot on the first one, haha! You might want to try looking for D. Hookeri, its easy to grow, pretty cheap, self pollinating(the seeds are also easy to germinate), and makes a crap ton of tubers(in my opinion). Any of the Peltata Complex dews are good beginners.

CC has D. Tubaestylis, which is pretty cheap (25$ INCLUDING shipping, for me), I have it, They say on their website it isnt a beginner plant, but I think they mean tuberous drosera in general. If you grow pygmies successfully, tuberous dews shouldnt be too different(except for dormancy, but that still shouldnt be too different).

If you look for seeds on ebay, be very careful, its hard to find real drosera seeds there. I think the seedbank here still has some D. Auriculata and D. Peltata seeds available, in class 2. These are also super easy to germinate.

I'm pretty new to Tuberous dews still (only my 3rd year with them), but I hope this helps.

By chomato

nimbulan wrote:I personally recommend sand, but I've never actually tried perlite with tuberous sundews. CC's just about the only place that will be shipping actively growing plants, otherwise you'll need to start from seed. I will second starting with something in the peltata complex (peltata, hookeri, gracilis, gunniana, lunata, auriculata, yilgarnensis) since those will all germinate easily and the most common ones (generally hookeri and auriculata) can flower in their first growing season to produce some backup seeds for you.
I wasn't considering starting from seeds, but I think this might be the best way to ensure I have backup seeds, in the off chance that I fail. Thanks for the input!
By chomato

DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
chomato wrote:

I understand not wanting to spend a lot on the first one, haha! You might want to try looking for D. Hookeri, its easy to grow, pretty cheap, self pollinating(the seeds are also easy to germinate), and makes a crap ton of tubers(in my opinion). Any of the Peltata Complex dews are good beginners.

CC has D. Tubaestylis, which is pretty cheap (25$ INCLUDING shipping, for me), I have it, They say on their website it isnt a beginner plant, but I think they mean tuberous drosera in general. If you grow pygmies successfully, tuberous dews shouldnt be too different(except for dormancy, but that still shouldnt be too different).

If you look for seeds on ebay, be very careful, its hard to find real drosera seeds there. I think the seedbank here still has some D. Auriculata and D. Peltata seeds available, in class 2. These are also super easy to germinate.

I'm pretty new to Tuberous dews still (only my 3rd year with them), but I hope this helps.

I am aware of the Chinese seeds lol. I hadn't seen that the Seedbank had tuberous seeds, so I think I will go on that direction for now. Thanks!
By Apollyon
The auriculata I got from the seedbank last year germinated no problem and are starting to come up again now actually. This year it seems like they're flowering.
Panman liked this
By chomato
Apollyon wrote:The auriculata I got from the seedbank last year germinated no problem and are starting to come up again now actually. This year it seems like they're flowering.
Fantastic! I requested peltata just so you fancy folks can get the auriculatas with location. Here's to hoping they do well for me with just peat:perlite
Apollyon liked this
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!