FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By marianne
the new traps on my 'Dentate' from dangerous plants dont close?they are getting 8 hours of direct and indirect sunlight. could he have sold me a plant that the traps dont close?
By IrishDragon
I've had a few traps not function when an insect lands in them. Not sure WHY it happened, perhaps the trap was used quite often when kids stuck their fingers, sticks, or soil into the traps before I got to it. In mine I found that if I pinched the trap closed, that it would re-open a day or so later and be fully functional. I guess they just get stiff jawed. =P

Also, some of my smaller traps won't close when stimulated, I've not tried the pinch trick on them yet, I just assume they are malfunctioning traps.
By marianne
Thanks, but what about new traps? did he send me some weird plant?
By IrishDragon
Not sure if it is a 'weird' plant. It could just be a side effect of shock from being shipped.

Just do the basics and the plant should become more stable, healthy, and happy.

Lots of sunlight (direct and indirect)
Watered using distilled or rain water from the bottom.

I used to hand feed my Fly Traps, now I just leave them be and I come out to find some traps I thought to be malfunctioning, have in fact captured a live bug on their own! 8-)
By OR1ON
YEah i think it could be from shipping and shock. That happened to my home depot rescues and it took them MONTHS to recover. At first they wouldnt close at all then they would close but very very slowly. Just keep it in good conditions and with time it'll be better.
By masmith
OR1ON wrote:That happened to my home depot rescues and it took them MONTHS to recover. At first they wouldnt close at all then they would close but very very slowly.
I wonder if that is why mine are slow closing. I bought it back in June. I also have issues with mine not opening back up after a meal even though they are new traps.
Also when I first got it my trap would barely open up enough for a bug to fit in past the "teeth"

Mine is perking up and hopefully yours will too

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!