FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By EllieB
Hi everyone! I got a new flytrap a few weeks ago and it caught a bug but the trap won't close. I'm guessing it's because it's an old trap and nearing the end of its life. should I remove the bug from the trap or just leave it there? Thanks!ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
By sbrooks
If the bug is dead, it wouldn't digest it anyway. If the trap won't close, and the bug is alive, I say let him choose to stay or go. :lol:

It looks like your plant need a lot more light; either put it out in full sun, or purchase some strong artificial lighting that is good for growing plants.
More light produces stronger, larger, more energetic traps that close quickly and seal properly.
By EllieB
sbrooks wrote:If the bug is dead, it wouldn't digest it anyway.
The bug is dead now. I tried jiggling the trigger hairs to see if that would stimulate it close but no luck :/

By EllieB
sbrooks wrote:either put it out in full sun, or purchase some strong artificial lighting that is good for growing plants.
More light produces stronger, larger, more energetic traps that close quickly and seal properly.
I tried putting my last plant in full sunlight and it for burnt :s I tried putting this one out for an hour at a time each day to acclimate it but it still looked like it was getting burnt :s
If I got grow lights is there a specific kind I should get? Do they need to be acclimated to that too? Thanks!

By Killerwhale
Acclimating it is still your best option imo. Anytime you first introduce them to sunlight you’re going to have some trap die off. Some struggle more than others but if all needs are met the plant will recover quickly. Good luck
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!