FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ken Tadashii
Anyone have any ideas what is happening to my D. Muscipula triton? I had this on november, it was doing well from then until now.
-The water is distilled and or from the rain.
-Full sun from 11am till 2pm ( i live in the philippines).
-it is always in the water tray.
But recently i began to notice that even the new growth is having dark spots.
Please help im a newbie on vft.
Attachments:
IMG_20230206_100653.jpg
IMG_20230206_100653.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1355 times
IMG_20230206_100702.jpg
IMG_20230206_100702.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 1355 times
By Dan V
My best guess is that 3 hours is not enough sun, try for 6 hours.
Soil looks a little too wet, let the soil dry out a little bit between refills - some vfts don't like constant wet feet, but never let the soil totally dry out.
The metal pan could be causing a chemical burn, plastic is best.
Ken Tadashii liked this
By Ken Tadashii
I am using aluminum pan for this. Regarding with the sun exposure, it is very bright and hot here during those time of the day. And i always topped the pan with water.
By ChefDean
Ken Tadashii wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:19 pm I am using aluminum pan for this.
The acidic environment that these plants are in will strip metal ions from the metal pan and harm the plant over time. Aluminum and copper are generally regarded as the worst for many types of plants to get even a little too much of. Some carnivorous plants are very sensitive to too many minerals, others have a better tolerance. I would suggest switching to plastic trays, as it looks like your VFT has some mineral burn going on.
Ken Tadashii wrote:Regarding with the sun exposure, it is very bright and hot here during those time of the day.
But three hours may not be enough. If you're concerned about the heat and intensity, try to find a spot that gets direct sunlight from sunrise to about noon, then shade/indirect light after that. You'll get good, direct light for ~six hours, but avoiding it during the hottest part of the day.
Ken Tadashii wrote:And i always topped the pan with water.
Flytraps can do fine with wet feet, but don't like swimming. Let the tray dry up for a day, then put about 1/2 - 1 inch of water in (1-2 cm), and ket it dry up for a day again.
Ken Tadashii, Dan V liked this
By Panman
It looks too wet to me. Flytrap roots, on average, are about 5 inches long and they don't like to be sitting in water. I recommend repotting into a deeper pot with fresh medium. I prefer pots at least 6 inches deep for flytraps so that I can leave them sitting in water.
By Ken Tadashii
Its previous pot sir is 6inches deep but that is the result. I just repotted it back into the smaller one because i thought maybe it is not getting enough water.
By Intheswamp
You've got some good advice from some knowledgeable people. It's your choice whether you take it or not.
By jmoore3274
I 100% agree with Chef on this. I made this mistake very early on in my CP cultivation. Those aluminum pans are cheap and easy to find. However, aluminum, when accumulating in soils can be very toxic to bog plants. People make this mistake with aluminum sulfate for blueberries. The stuff is easy to find and kills their blue's.

You will notice over time, where the water line is, the aluminum will dull or even turn brown. That is a sure sign that the aluminum is being stripped by the acid in the water.

I would highly suggest that you go to your local Hydroponics store and ask them for quad thick 10 20 trays that have no drainage holes. They cost around 5 bucks which is worth the investment.
wcrosman liked this

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!