FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
I found a couple of these guys on one of my sundews. They move slowly, and don't seem to be spiders; no webs seen. The plant isn't suffering any visible damage. Right now it's isolated to just one pot. I'll try to get a pic when/if I find another. Meanwhile, does anyone know what these might be?
By Gary
Nope, not springtails. These guys are very slow moving, and maybe half the size of the springtails I've see around here. I'll try for a pic.
ChefDean liked this
By Gary
Finally got a pic. They definitely have a lot of legs that you can't really see with the naked eye. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be a wholesale infestation, unless these guys are very good at hiding. There's no evidence of webs. Maybe aphids? Here's a magnified view:
Attachments:
1126221011~2.jpg
1126221011~2.jpg (265.92 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
By Gary
Sure looks like it. I have the plant isolated from the other sundews, and have it's pot completely submerged in DI water. One of the DIY solutions I found says to use diluted IPA and either wipe the leaves or spray the whole plant. Others have mentioned that Bayer 3-1 miticide is effective.
So....
Is IPA likely to harm sundews?
Would dunking the entire plant in DI water for a couple days help eradicate these bugs?
I've been very fortunate to not have had pest issues until now, and I don't want to be in a constant battle with these guys. You guys have far more experience than me with these issues, what has worked for you?
By ChefDean
Dunking can be very effective, but maybe go longer than a couple of days.
IPA is (my opinion) trash on a bunch of levels, but I would think that the alcohol and salts in it would not be good for the plant.
Bioadvanced 3 in 1 is a pretty good all around product, but not too great with spider mites. If you need to treat for spider mites, get something stronger like Avid. It's spendy, but you can get a small portion, enough for five gallons, from the FTC store.
As far as anything (IPA, miticide, etc.) harming the sundew, most sundews are temperamental and will definitely pout with anything you treat them with.
Lain liked this
By Gary
Hi Chef, thanks for the info. Regarding dunking, should I be doing just the pot or the whole plant?
You're right about the cost of the Avid miticide, it's pricey! I was able to find a 2 oz bottle for about $18, much more affordable.
By Gary
ChefDean, when you mentioned a water dunk, did you mean immersing the entire plant, and not just the pot? I've had the affected plant in water up to the top of the pot for a couple of days, but wasn't sure I should dunk the whole plant. Thanks for your help!
By evenwind
You've got to immerse the whole plant. Otherwise, the buggers will just crawl upwards and wait out the floods.
ChefDean liked this
By Gary
I kept the plant underwater for 4 days, and after taking it out of the water I haven't seen any evidence of mites. The plant seems fine, but no dew yet. I expect it will take a couple of weeks to recover.
By evenwind
Keep checking for mites. They sometimes recover, too. Good luck!

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!