FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

Which carnivorous plant requires the most patience?

Heliamphora
9%
Venus Flytrap seedlings
18%
Helis
No votes
0%
Rare and tiny Drosera
No votes
0%
Any Heliamphora species or hybrid
No votes
0%
Cephalotus!
36%
Some Utricularia species
18%
Heli's, Heli's, HELI's!!
18%
By Steve_D
Some plants are so slow and tedious. We have to use a high-powered magnifier just to closely examine them for even the slightest change to take some joy in. Of all carnivorous plants, which is the most slow and tedious (for us) to grow?
By Matt
I voted for Cephalotus because they seem to take forever to start growing after being repotted. Most other plants seem to respond quickly and grow fairly quickly (for CPs), though I don't have a ton of experience with "rare and tiny" Drosera.

Neat question Steve :)
By Matt
I think Steve was being a bit silly here. Four of the options ("Heliamphora", "Helis", "Any Heliamphora species or hybrid", and "Heli's, Heli's, HELI's!!") are all Heliamphora. The real vote comes down to Venus fly trap Seedlings, Heliamphora, Cephalotus or "Rare and tiny Drosera".
By moof
In my opinion, some of the utricularia. U.campbelliana especially and the other higland slow-growers. They're CRAZY to grow, U.campbelliana can even put out one or two leaves during a year and requires conditions that are very hard to get.
By 95slvrZ28
Something tells me that Steve thinks that Heli's are the hardest to grow. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion.

At any rate, I didn't vote because I haven't grown well...anything on the list soooooo...
By Steve_D
95slvrZ28 wrote:Something tells me that Steve thinks that Heli's are the hardest to grow.
Well, in all fairness to my Heliamphora, I AM torturing them by growing them in conditions opposite to what they usually experience on top of the tepuis (table-top mountains) in Venezuela and Guyana. I'm "stress testing" them in a hot, dry climate, outdoors much of the day in blistering high-altitude sun often with hot, blasting wind, as contrasted with their natural environment which is often cool to downright cold, with very frequent rain or heavy mist from clouds scraping across the tops of the tepuis.

So in response they are growing extremely slowly. But they aren't dying (yet), so I'm beginning to think they might be a little tougher than people think. I'm doing this Heli stress testing on purpose, but I won't kill them (not on purpose, anyway). If I see them reacting adversely (other than growing extremely conservatively) I'll make life easier for them, grow them inside out of the wind more, try to keep them a little cooler, etc.

But right now, yes, Helis definitely require the most patience from me as far as observing their (lack of) growth. :)
By 95slvrZ28
I really want a H. Minor, but I really don't want to set up a terrarium. Boulder is not the most friendly of environments to grow plants in due to the weather being pretty extreme at times (as you said, heat, dry, wind etc.), so I would be a little concerned about purchasing a $40 plant that I've never grown before in conditions I'm not sure how they would fair in. Let me know how the test goes, I'm quite interested in the results (or if you want to sacrifice one of them to a sunny window in Boulder let me know ;) ). If it looks like they're tougher than people think I'm really going to consider getting one.
By Steve_D
moof wrote:H.minor is a bombproof plant for me if it has good humidity.
But a dependence upon good humidity is an achilles heel in the desert. That's why I'm trying to see whether Heliamphora can adapt to much lower humidity. They may not look their luxurious best, but perhaps they can become a little more like a tough desert cactus. They're pretty tough plants already when it comes to standing up in harsh wind, but of course they are adapted to that from the very windy plateaus of the tepuis.

Anyway, I find these stess-testing experiments interesting. :)
By RL7836
Hi Steve,
Now I know why I haven't seen you around for a while - you've found a different forum to frequent!
moof wrote:In my opinion, some of the utricularia. U.campbelliana especially and the other higland slow-growers. They're CRAZY to grow, U.campbelliana can even put out one or two leaves during a year and requires conditions that are very hard to get.
While I haven't been growing the utrics as long as other CP families, they get my vote. Usually they're grown for their flowers & even some easy-growing species cause experienced growers to rip their hair out to get them to bloom. I'm also finding that ones that are only considered 'moderately' difficult can be tough to grow. I managed to reduce a 6" U. quelchii to a few sparse 1/8" leaves within a month or two...
Steve_D wrote:Well, in all fairness to my Heliamphora, I AM torturing them by growing them in conditions opposite to what they usually experience on top of the tepuis (table-top mountains) in Venezuela and Guyana. I'm "stress testing" them in a hot, dry climate, ...
Well that pretty much explains any issues you have with them - eh? :o They grow like weeds in a humid tank in my basement....
Steve_D wrote:But a dependence upon good humidity is an achilles heel in the desert.
Have you tried Drosophyllum lusitanicum? Sounds like it should fit in to your environment very well...
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!