FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
The rain in my place is propably polluted and I don’t want my plants to get watered with it. Fortunately my plants are placed in a south balcony and the rain rarely floods the balcony. How can I protect them?
By Barlapipas 6
Attachments:
The balcony
The balcony
25901931-0D06-4D3E-AB88-C890ACECFB52.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 1391 times
By Intheswamp
This wouldn't be a complete covering but would shield them from most rain...

You could use a sheet of plexiglass or lexan to place over the plants (using a support frame of some kind). I would definitely go thin on this as the plastics will filter out some sunlight. Glass would work great, too, but extra care would be needed to prevent breakage. You could possibly hinge one edge of the glass on the railing and have a couple of vertical supports standing on the balcony floor. Have the vertical supports taller than the attachment point on the railing so that water will drain back to the edge of the balcony...plus would give you more of an open area on the backside where you will view and tend to the plants. If you also hinge the vertical supports you could simply lift and "fold" the cover assembly against the balcony railing when you wanted unobstructed access to the table and plants. It's just a thought. Hopefully it's a bit clearer than mud.
By Intheswamp
Just wanted to add... Be sure the clear membrane isn't tinted or have "UV protection" in it.

Also, you could build a frame and stretch clear plastic sheeting (the stuff that comes in rolls) over it...most of it isn't as clear as plexiglass, lexan, or regular glass, though.
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!