FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
I have been manually removing what i think is stink bugs for over a week now. they seem to be feeding on the plants. Also they are filling the pitchers and mass rotting killing the pitchers.

Has anyone else had this issue? looking for a better way to deal with it.

ImageImage
By ChefDean
I have those same ones, but they're hitting my Eastern Redbud and staying away from my carny plants thankfully.
Not much you can do about them except maybe a light treatment of Bioadvanced a couple times a week to see if you can bring the under control.
By MikeB
optique wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:39 am this is whats going on with the pitchers.
It falls under the heading of "too much of a good thing", like when the taller Sarracenia species/hybrids stuff themselves silly with bugs. After my leucophylla and moorei plants produce their big pitchers, they'll pig-out on moths. To make the pitchers last for more than 2 weeks, I let them catch a few moths, then put a piece of fluffed-up cotton ball in each pitcher. The loose cotton lets the pitchers "breathe" but prevents more moths from falling in.
By optique
@MikeB, filling with stink bugs is a side effect of the real issue they are feeding on the plant, zoom in on the photo above of a leaf that looks like it has monkey pox. They are injecting a liquefying agent into the plant tissue and sucking it back out. that's what is making the spots on the leafs.
By optique
Just a update in case anyone else has the same issue. Directly under the plants having the issues. Behind my table was a large "Cleome" growing into the table. Pulled it up and was able to get things under control. Both my big sanguinea hybrids have stalled out from the bugs =( and lost 90% of pitchers.

The stink bugs seem to like Cleome and it seems to over come the bugs feeding on it with out issues. Perfect breeding ground for them.

ImageImageImage
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!