FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
I have been manually removing what i think is stink bugs for over a week now. they seem to be feeding on the plants. Also they are filling the pitchers and mass rotting killing the pitchers.

Has anyone else had this issue? looking for a better way to deal with it.

ImageImage
By ChefDean
I have those same ones, but they're hitting my Eastern Redbud and staying away from my carny plants thankfully.
Not much you can do about them except maybe a light treatment of Bioadvanced a couple times a week to see if you can bring the under control.
By MikeB
optique wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:39 am this is whats going on with the pitchers.
It falls under the heading of "too much of a good thing", like when the taller Sarracenia species/hybrids stuff themselves silly with bugs. After my leucophylla and moorei plants produce their big pitchers, they'll pig-out on moths. To make the pitchers last for more than 2 weeks, I let them catch a few moths, then put a piece of fluffed-up cotton ball in each pitcher. The loose cotton lets the pitchers "breathe" but prevents more moths from falling in.
By optique
@MikeB, filling with stink bugs is a side effect of the real issue they are feeding on the plant, zoom in on the photo above of a leaf that looks like it has monkey pox. They are injecting a liquefying agent into the plant tissue and sucking it back out. that's what is making the spots on the leafs.
By optique
Just a update in case anyone else has the same issue. Directly under the plants having the issues. Behind my table was a large "Cleome" growing into the table. Pulled it up and was able to get things under control. Both my big sanguinea hybrids have stalled out from the bugs =( and lost 90% of pitchers.

The stink bugs seem to like Cleome and it seems to over come the bugs feeding on it with out issues. Perfect breeding ground for them.

ImageImageImage

Maybe I can be the test subject for jamban... A[…]

I actually live in zone 7A (near DC). I currently […]

List keeps growing! Some really nice grabs. :D

October bonus

It's definitely cooling off, and leaves are changi[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank Aquis31 for his latest donation.[…]

New ping owner…. Help?

It sounds like you're doing well tbh! There are a […]

Heliamphora pollination

Day 3 after the flower has opened, and still no po[…]

Large burn on my Nepenthes

That is unfortunate but at least it isn't fatal. T[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!