FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chonoknight420
I just got a sundew with 2 other carnivorous plants. The butterwort and bladderwort look like they are doing fine. The sundew is becoming pale.

They came by mail 4 days ago. They don't have much dew on the leaves. And their color seems to be fading.

I have them under grow lights that is about 1800lux max. Temp is about 72-77F and humidity stays in the 60s% highest being 80s and lowest being high 50s.

The soil is a Sphagnum moss, perlite and sand mix. There is about an inch of water that the soil sits in.

Am I doing anything wrong? I'm worried I might lose my sundew.
By Chonoknight420
It's still a work in progress
Attachments:
IMG_20220703_200212498.jpg
IMG_20220703_200212498.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2920 times
IMG_20220703_200158874.jpg
IMG_20220703_200158874.jpg (5.21 MiB) Viewed 2920 times
By Bluefire
Sundews usually lose dew after transit. Even driving a short distance while keeping one in a cup holder or something is bound to result in dew loss. With water and light and a little adjustment time it should adapt and start growing again.

Also, I wouldn’t put all those plants together. Mexican butterworts appreciate a drier dormancy, they’ll tell you when they want it, while tropical sundews (I’m assuming yours is tropical) like it constantly wet and bladderworts like to be soaked. They don’t mind water up to the level of their green leaves.

Of course, I am not an expert and it would be good to get opinions from other people too before you do anything.
By Chonoknight420
Thanks on the advice for the sundew. Don't worry about the Bladderwort and Butterwort.

The butterwort is attached to a piece of dragon rock. I can pull it out and add it to my succulents garden.

The Bladderwort is in water up to about half way to the green leaves, and it's right next to a makeshift pond.

I was just worried I might have too much light on the sundew but everything I read says it like partial to full sun. My light is high partial sunlight. About 1800lux, the blossom app has a lux meter built in.
By Bluefire
It may want higher humidity. I do not have an Andromeda, but I grow the parent species and they both appreciate very high humidity.

It could also be that it came from a nursery with high humidity and should be acclimated to your conditions more slowly. It may just be shocked. It should be stronger than its parents on account of it being a hybrid.

Did you read up on sundews in general or your specific one? Some sundews have different care preferences to others.
By Chonoknight420
Right now it is high 58% and 72F I was thinking of adding a small reptile heater to it. Do you think that would help? Maybe like a pad or heat rock. Of course, the lights are off right now, but do you think that's too low? The fans were on to circulate the air. They come on several times a day.

Plus I also just got them like 4 days ago.
By Chonoknight420
I also have a fogger in the lake that atomizes the water. All the water in the tank is RODI filtered water. The fog definitely increases the humidity a lot.
By Chonoknight420
Bluefire wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:21 am It may want higher humidity. I do not have an Andromeda, but I grow the parent species and they both appreciate very high humidity.

It could also be that it came from a nursery with high humidity and should be acclimated to your conditions more slowly. It may just be shocked. It should be stronger than its parents on account of it being a hybrid.

Did you read up on sundews in general or your specific one? Some sundews have different care preferences to others.
I was thinking of adding the heating pad to the bottom of the tank. That should both increase humidity and temp a little.
By Chonoknight420
I just had a thought, could it be the high humidity? Let me post what the owner said about it's care.

Mature size: 4-5 inches in diameter
Light: Shade or grow light equivalent
Soil: Carnivorous Plant Soil Mix or long fiber sphagnum moss
Feeding: Feed bugs, dried bloodworms, fish food, or diluted foliar fertilizer such as Maxsea every 2-3 weeks
Humidity: 50-90%
Water: Keep wet at all times, provide water that is low in salts and minerals such as rain or distilled water
Temperature: 60-85°F, provide more humidity if temperatures are hotter
Dormancy: None
By Bluefire
The temperature seems okay. As for humidity, that could work. Just keep a very good eye on your plants. They’re going to look a little rough while they adjust and it may worry you but just wait. Once they get past the rough beginning they’ll start looking great again.

You could experiment with the heating pad, I would be worried about it cooking the plants though. I know that one of Andromeda’s parents hates when it gets too hot so I would be hesitant to heat it just in case.

What nursery did you get your plants from? Curious.
By Chonoknight420
Bluefire wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:37 am The temperature seems okay. As for humidity, that could work. Just keep a very good eye on your plants. They’re going to look a little rough while they adjust and it may worry you but just wait. Once they get past the rough beginning they’ll start looking great again.

You could experiment with the heating pad, I would be worried about it cooking the plants though. I know that one of Andromeda’s parents hates when it gets too hot so I would be hesitant to heat it just in case.

What nursery did you get your plants from? Curious.
You just said it Curious Plants. They are very kind and had the only Goldeneye I could find. That is the Butterwort

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!