FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415803
Hello plant growers,

My tuberous sundews have been multiplying this growing season and now that they’re either dormant or getting there I’m wondering what to do with the extras. I would like to send some of them off to new homes.

How would I go about doing that? Trading? Selling? Giving to the seed bank? I have never done anything like this before (not very internet savvy) but the sundews seem intent to grow me out of house and home due to my inaction.

That was an exaggeration. I do not have that many, just enough to recognize that I don’t need that many. I also have some tiny Pinguicula from leaf pullings and am trying to create Ping hybrids (I am horrible at growing anything from seed though, so no surprises if nothing happens).

Anyone have any ideas?
By Sundews69
Location: 
Posts:  1144
Joined:  Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm
#415805
You could do a giveaway or make a sales thread (Or just give 'em to me :D )
User avatar
By Camden M
Location: 
Posts:  280
Joined:  Mon May 23, 2022 9:25 pm
#415806
Etsy is an option if you a bit too much of everything.
User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415807
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:26 pm You could do a giveaway or make a sales thread (Or just give 'em to me :D )
That’s a bit unfair, no?
Well, I have extra D. peltata (gunniana maybe?) and probably D. moorei and D. hookeri. I have extra small pullings from P. rotundiflora, agnata red leaf, and kondoi. I have bred my P. cyclosecta with P. moranensis alba x emarginata so we’ll see if anything happens.
Attachments:
Cyclosecta
Cyclosecta
7793627A-7A54-435E-B408-5697A53ECA6A.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 738 times
Moranensis alba x emarginata
Moranensis alba x emarginata
0806548E-B696-457E-990F-8516555DAB5D.jpeg (297.64 KiB) Viewed 738 times
User avatar
By ChefDean
Location: 
Posts:  6364
Joined:  Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 am
#415808
Speaking from a seed bank point of view, don't send them in to the seed bank.
Tuberous drosera seeds seem to hang around the bank for a long time, and the tubers will be much more perishable.
I would suggest you join a tuberous drosera FB page, you'll probably move them quickly there.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Location: 
Posts:  1144
Joined:  Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm
#415810
Bluefire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:30 pm
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:26 pm You could do a giveaway or make a sales thread (Or just give 'em to me :D )
That’s a bit unfair, no?
I was just joking!
User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415811
Thinking I’ll try to trade or sell them here and if that doesn’t work then maybe I’ll go elsewhere? Very new to selling/ exchanging things on the internet. I don’t think I have enough excess to make an Etsy store for it and I’m a bit terrified of Facebook for no reason I can really tell. Maybe because I’ve heard of it being toxic? I was actually quite scared of joining this forum for a while so just browsed and thought “maybe?”. I don’t know why but I’m way too unhealthily nervous about anything relating to interacting on the internet… sorry if this is annoying.
User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415812
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:35 pm
Bluefire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:30 pm
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:26 pm You could do a giveaway or make a sales thread (Or just give 'em to me :D )
That’s a bit unfair, no?
I was just joking!
I figured, I was trying to humor you but tone is really hard to get across in a few digital words.
Sundews69 liked this
User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415817
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:27 pm Do have any beginner species?
I find all the plants I have to be relatively easy growing… I’ve never had any issues with them so I’d classify them as beginners. My peltata even self seeds readily. Like a tuberous cape or spat.

If you’re interested, the Pings have also been relatively easygoing. Very little maintenance, I threw the extras in with my Pygmy Drosera and they seem fine.
By Sundews69
Location: 
Posts:  1144
Joined:  Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm
#415819
Bluefire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 pm
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:27 pm Do have any beginner species?
I find all the plants I have to be relatively easy growing… I’ve never had any issues with them so I’d classify them as beginners. My peltata even self seeds readily. Like a tuberous cape or spat.

If you’re interested, the Pings have also been relatively easygoing. Very little maintenance, I threw the extras in with my Pygmy Drosera and they seem fine.
Ok, I probably wouldn't buy them now, but how much would you sell them for?
User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415821
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:58 pm
Bluefire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 pm
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:27 pm Do have any beginner species?
I find all the plants I have to be relatively easy growing… I’ve never had any issues with them so I’d classify them as beginners. My peltata even self seeds readily. Like a tuberous cape or spat.

If you’re interested, the Pings have also been relatively easygoing. Very little maintenance, I threw the extras in with my Pygmy Drosera and they seem fine.
Ok, I probably wouldn't buy them now, but how much would you sell them for?
Probably $10-$15 per tuber, depending on size. Maybe $5 for butterworts. The buyer would also have to pay shipping.
Sundews69 liked this
User avatar
By Intheswamp
Location: 
Posts:  553
Joined:  Wed May 04, 2022 2:28 pm
#415824
Bluefire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:39 pm Thinking I’ll try to trade or sell them here and if that doesn’t work then maybe I’ll go elsewhere? Very new to selling/ exchanging things on the internet. I don’t think I have enough excess to make an Etsy store for it and I’m a bit terrified of Facebook for no reason I can really tell. Maybe because I’ve heard of it being toxic? I was actually quite scared of joining this forum for a while so just browsed and thought “maybe?”. I don’t know why but I’m way too unhealthily nervous about anything relating to interacting on the internet… sorry if this is annoying.
Do what you feel comfortable doing. Don't feel like you've *got* to sale or trade here or there or anywhere. This is supposed to be fun and interesting. Making a few bucks to cover some of the expenses incurred is perfectly ok. And, being a bit careful regarding social media is perfectly understandable as there are plenty of slime buckets out there waiting to con you out of most anything. But, from my short couple of months here I've found that the folks here are of a pretty high caliber...good, ethical people who will give the shirt off of their backs (or at least a packet of seeds or maybe even some plants!) to someone they don't even know. I don't think any one of them would want you doing something you feel uncomfortable with. Stick around for a while, watch different conversations and interactions and you'll start picking up on some of the personalities and see that they're mostly good folks just trying to enjoy the hobby and communicating with folks with similar interests. Take your time. Of course you will realize there's a high percentage of nut-cases here (I think I'm the only sane one!)...that enjoy joking with each other. Do things at your comfort level...and above all else, have fun and enjoy the hobby. Cheers!

Btw, didn't I see you at the mall the other day? 8-)
User avatar
By Bluefire
Location: 
Posts:  212
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 pm
#415825
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:21 am
Bluefire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:39 pm Thinking I’ll try to trade or sell them here and if that doesn’t work then maybe I’ll go elsewhere? Very new to selling/ exchanging things on the internet. I don’t think I have enough excess to make an Etsy store for it and I’m a bit terrified of Facebook for no reason I can really tell. Maybe because I’ve heard of it being toxic? I was actually quite scared of joining this forum for a while so just browsed and thought “maybe?”. I don’t know why but I’m way too unhealthily nervous about anything relating to interacting on the internet… sorry if this is annoying.
Do what you feel comfortable doing. Don't feel like you've *got* to sale or trade here or there or anywhere. This is supposed to be fun and interesting. Making a few bucks to cover some of the expenses incurred is perfectly ok. And, being a bit careful regarding social media is perfectly understandable as there are plenty of slime buckets out there waiting to con you out of most anything. But, from my short couple of months here I've found that the folks here are of a pretty high caliber...good, ethical people who will give the shirt off of their backs (or at least a packet of seeds or maybe even some plants!) to someone they don't even know. I don't think any one of them would want you doing something you feel uncomfortable with. Stick around for a while, watch different conversations and interactions and you'll start picking up on some of the personalities and see that they're mostly good folks just trying to enjoy the hobby and communicating with folks with similar interests. Take your time. Of course you will realize there's a high percentage of nut-cases here (I think I'm the only sane one!)...that enjoy joking with each other. Do things at your comfort level...and above all else, have fun and enjoy the hobby. Cheers!

Btw, didn't I see you at the mall the other day? 8-)
I don’t think so… I haven’t been out of the house in days. Quarantining after moving to a new state and all.

Ah, yeah. My ventricosa only basaled when it was n[…]

Holy crap look what I found!

Maybe it was a piece of rhizome and you have a s[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1045. I'll PM[…]

Ok, thanks. I found one for $55. Whoa, whoa[…]

Cotton wick pots?

It would depend also on the design of the pot, too[…]

Accidental watering w/city water

Are you planning on collecting any rainwater? ETA[…]

Well again, I am acclimating it so keep that in mi[…]

Escape room game fun

Your flytrap needs better soil, and those incandes[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!