FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone,

What is the best method for scarifying Drosophyllum Lusitanicum seeds? Is there a way to know if you have done the right amount of scarifying without damaging the seed more than it needs to be, but still have done enough to effect germination?
By DragonsEye
In general, either use sandpaper to sand off part of the seed coat or a razorblade to shave off part of the seed coat. With large seeds (I have grown non-cps in the past in which scarification was either necessary or highly recommended), sandpaper works just fine. With smaller seeds like Drosos, I find using an Exacto knife easier. (Trying to hold onto a small seed while sanding it, I find, tends to result in fingernails and fingertips getting sanded more than the seed.) Either way, remove enough of the seed coat so you can see the inner "meat" of the seed. It's usually white or milky-grey colored. I always try to do the side of a seed when I can or the very top. Do not do the pointy part -- that is typically from where the root will emerge.
Sundews69, ChefDean liked this
By Sundews69
DragonsEye wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 pm In general, either use sandpaper to sand off part of the seed coat or a razorblade to shave off part of the seed coat. With large seeds (I have grown non-cps in the past in which scarification was either necessary or highly recommended), sandpaper works just fine. With smaller seeds like Drosos, I find using an Exacto knife easier. (Trying to hold onto a small seed while sanding it, I find, tends to result in fingernails and fingertips getting sanded more than the seed.) Either way, remove enough of the seed coat so you can see the inner "meat" of the seed. It's usually white or milky-grey colored. I always try to do the side of a seed when I can or the very top. Do not do the pointy part -- that is typically from where the root will emerge.
Sounds easy enough! Thanks!
Counting to infinity.

Ah, yeah. My ventricosa only basaled when it was n[…]

Holy crap look what I found!

Maybe it was a piece of rhizome and you have a s[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1045. I'll PM[…]

Ok, thanks. I found one for $55. Whoa, whoa[…]

Cotton wick pots?

It would depend also on the design of the pot, too[…]

Accidental watering w/city water

Are you planning on collecting any rainwater? ETA[…]

Well again, I am acclimating it so keep that in mi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!