FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By John Doe
So a few days ago, on a day that was over 100 Degrees Fahrenheit, I was busy so I was not able to water the VFT. So when I came home, it was all droopy and there was a bunch of dead traps (It was big). I cut the dead traps off and was left with a sad looking flytrap. Now, I see the edges of all the traps are turning black, and I MEAN ALL OF THEM, even on the new ones. Is there anything I can do?

Picture of before but a month outdated, but its just to show the size as reference
3994D9D3-6E8D-4285-9CB4-61FA08E9C417.jpeg
3994D9D3-6E8D-4285-9CB4-61FA08E9C417.jpeg (563.58 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Picture of the plant after
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.34 MiB) Viewed 1790 times
Picture if the dark spots
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 1790 times
By Intheswamp
Keep them watered...and wait to see how they recover. That's all I would think you could do at this point. That's a pretty hard knock.
By Intheswamp
I agree on getting rid of the black pot. I ended up ordering some pots off of amazon and ebay. I looked at Lowes and Home Depot and several dollar stores in several towns around here and the predominant colors were clay-colored and black. I found very few white pots at these places. I don't know whether people had bought up all the white pots or if the purchasing agents just *slightly* missed the mark with their color logic. :roll:
By Panman
On 100 degree day will not kill off the plant, unless it totally dried out. You don't indicate how dry it was when you found it in its present condition. Personally, I haven't found an issue with black pots, but my pots are tightly packed together so there is a good bit of biomass that doesn't get too hot. I do keep them in trays of water and keep my flytraps in at least 1/2 inch of water with 5 inch high pots. You may need to have a bigger, not necessarily deeper, tray to hold more water.
Intheswamp liked this
By thepitchergrower
It hit 104 degrees the other day, with 15 % humidity. My flytraps were undamaged. You have to make sure to keep them well watered...
1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Gemmae

I suspect maxsea residue as the culprit on mine.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!