FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tracieh
I have grown a lot of sarracenia from seeds generously donated to the seed bank plus others I have purchased. I am trying to get better at proper labels. Correct form is s. seed producer x pollinator correct? What need capitalized if anything? Cultivars can just be Sarracenia "Cultivar Name"?

If I grew seeds that were labeled s. flava I think that wouldn't be correct? It needs to be pollinated by something. So would my labels all have to specify open pollinated to be correct?

I may be overthinking this haha but i have been separating seeds and making a lot of tags lately

Sent from my EC211001 using Tapatalk

By Panman
Last question first. S flava would be flava x flava meaning it came from two genetically different plants. It would be labeled as S. flava. Some people label selfed plants without the x self.

The first letter of the genus would be capitalized, soSarracenia. Crosses are labeled as producer x pollinator. Cultivars are S. 'Cultivar Name' or S. x 'Cultivar Name'.
Sundews69, khutru liked this
By tracieh
Thank you! That was very helpful!!

Sent from my EC211001 using Tapatalk

By MikeB
If it's just a description, then you use regular quotes: Sarracenia flava var. ornata "Outlaw site".
By KategoricalKarnivore
Pod parent always goes first followed by pollen parent. If you pollinated the flower with its own pollen you can label it as x self but you don’t have to. If a flower is pollinated with pollen from another plant of the same species there is no need to list it twice like flava x flava. If they are different varieties of the same species then you can list both like flava var. cuprea x flava var. maxima. Cultivar names should always be in single quotes (‘Name’). Plants that have a name that are not formally registered have double quotations (“Name”). If you are unsure of the pollen parent the seeds should be labeled as S. species x OP.
khutru liked this
By DragonsEye
KategoricalKarnivore wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 pm Pod parent always goes first followed by pollen parent. If you pollinated the flower with its own pollen you can label it as x self but you don’t have to. If a flower is pollinated with pollen from another plant of the same species there is no need to list it twice like flava x flava. If they are different varieties of the same species then you can list both like flava var. cuprea x flava var. maxima. Cultivar names should always be in single quotes (‘Name’). Plants that have a name that are not formally registered have double quotations (“Name”). If you are unsure of the pollen parent the seeds should be labeled as S. species x OP.
Adding to the rest...
Hybrid (or grex) names do not go in quotes. Using an orchid as an example:
-- Paphiopedilum Jim Kie 'Springwater'
From this name we can see that:
1) This plant belongs to the genus Paphiopedilum.
2) It is a named hybrid called Jim Kie.
3) It is a particular clone/cultivar called 'Springwater'.

NOTE: When a hybrid is named, ALL plants of that cross are considered that hybrid. For example, Sarr. Lemon = Sarr. alata x Sarr. flava. If you remake that hybrid using different plants of those same species, the progeny will still be Sarr. Lemon. A reverse cross of Sarr. flava x Sarr alata is also Sarr. Lemon. Using different cultivars of both of those species will still result in a hybrid called Lemon. (However, you might wind up with a particularly note-worthy specimen which you could then attribute a clonal/cultivar name.
khutru liked this

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!