FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Bird
I wanted to see what brand you guys use like to use for peat and pearlite because I don't have any peat or pearlite mix right now.
By uxleumas
I've tried using Carnivorous Plant Soil Mix by Rio Hamza Trading and SuperMoss (22330, the 2.1 lb one). Neither of the two have killed my plants so far. SuperMoss is pretty expensive right now though (but it's pretty great).
Last edited by uxleumas on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird liked this
By MikeB
@Bird: You don't have any location info, so I'm going to use mine (in the southeastern U.S.).

For peat moss, the best that I've been able to find is Sun Gro Black Gold. I ordered a 3.8-cubic-foot bag on Ace Hardware's website for 17 bucks and got free shipping to the store. It's good stuff, very little debris.

For perlite, I buy the Vigoro 2-cubic-foot bag at Home Depot. That's a lot of perlite for just 17 bucks.
By Ewreck
I bought some of the pre mix stuff from Flytrapstore. Its good for me so far after I rinse it a little bit I haven’t had any algae problems or mold or anything like that.
By -Stanley-
I went to Home Depot and got virgro peat moss and perlite. My plants are doing great right now. I only paid 10$.
By TrapsAndDews
I used peat and perlite from Vigoro. But I wasn't very happy with my last bag of peat. It was filled with sticks and bark. (I don't know if this makes a big difference, but the peat was also a light color.)
By -Stanley-
I wouldn't buy miracle grow peat moss because it coast more and has added nutrients I belive.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!