FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hello all,

I was initially looking to buy an intermediate or somewhat intermediate hybrid/species of Nepenthes online, somewhere Like eBay, but eBay's Nepenthes stock has significantly changed to only a few hybrids and species that don't appeal to me. Amazon has them but they don't specify the species.

To ask my question, where can I get a wide variety of nepenthes at a website I can trust to ship me healthy plants? Please share your experiences :D

Thanks
Max
By MaxVft
optique wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:13 am I have my eye on this hybrid, cant go wrong with (maxima x boschiana) x truncata https://www.pearlriverexotics.com/colle ... d-pre-sale
I gotta admit that's a gorgeous hybrid, but I just don't think I'm ready to spend 50 bucks on a 5 inch plant, lol :lol:
By optique
I agree that is over priced for the gamble of a seed grown hybrid, but don't be scared of small plants. The fun is growing them out.
By MaxVft
On second thought, Carnivero has a beautiful hybrid nicknamed 'Diana' which is only 35 bucks for an adult plant. I think I might want to buy this one and see how well it colors up under lights for me.

https://www.carnivero.com/collections/t ... 2874465393

Plus it involves Ventricosa, so we know it's gonna be a reliable hybrid lol.
By Apollyon
Carnivero is good for Neps the sizes are just small. PRE has decent plants I just don't like the way they handle business. Other people had good experiences with them though. Nepenthes are just expensive plants in general though. Some of them are just ridiculous
By MaxVft
Apollyon wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:00 am Carnivero is good for Neps the sizes are just small.
Idk about Carnivero just heard a lot of good things about them from fellow CP growers, you said their plants are small would that mean that if I were to buy for example a medium sized plant from them it would be a bit smaller than other suppliers' definitions of medium? Sorry if this is a stupid question :D , just double-checking.
By Apollyon
MaxVft wrote:
Apollyon wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:00 am Carnivero is good for Neps the sizes are just small.
Idk about Carnivero just heard a lot of good things about them from fellow CP growers, you said their plants are small would that mean that if I were to buy for example a medium sized plant from them it would be a bit smaller than other suppliers' definitions of medium? Sorry if this is a stupid question :D , just double-checking.
Not at all! Yes that's what I mean. They have a chart I think that shows their definition of medium but yeah on average, their mediums are going to be smaller than a medium from elsewhere. I got a small naga one time, it ended up being 1.5 inches :lol: but on the upside, they usually have some interesting ones and their prices are the same or better than other places.

I think my veitchii was a medium. IIRC it was about 3-4 inches wide.
By MaxVft
Yeah I think I know what you mean, their sizing chart really surprised me. The 'Large' plants looked no bigger than the 5 dollar plants I see at Lowe's all the time, and plus their prob gonna be even smaller than that if that's just them over exaggerating.

But who cares even, like @optique mentioned the fun of growing Neps is watching them develop and the pitchers change shape and size over the following months, so I thing I'll just pull the trigger and buy a plant from them.
By CPhunter101
MaxVft wrote:But who cares even, like @optique mentioned the fun of growing Neps is watching them develop and the pitchers change shape and size over the following months, so I thing I'll just pull the trigger and buy a plant from them.
Just curious, which nep do you intend to purchase?
By MaxVft
CPhunter101 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:23 am
MaxVft wrote:But who cares even, like @optique mentioned the fun of growing Neps is watching them develop and the pitchers change shape and size over the following months, so I thing I'll just pull the trigger and buy a plant from them.
Just curious, which nep do you intend to purchase?
Most likely the 'Diana' hybrid I mentioned earlier on the thread. If I do end up changing my mind I might end up buying one of their Ventricosa x Ventricosa crosses.
By CPhunter101
MaxVft wrote:On second thought, Carnivero has a beautiful hybrid nicknamed 'Diana' which is only 35 bucks for an adult plant.
IMO, spending 35 bucks on a single adult plant isn't the best choice if you're saving cash and trying to grow multiple neps.
I'd go with the 2 different $16 medium sized (cultivar) CPs which grow vigorously into maturity.
That way, you get two fast growing plants instead of one. You also to get to observe different pitcher stages.
But that's just my opinion and how I'm handling my nepenthes craze.
By MaxVft
CPhunter101 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:52 am
MaxVft wrote:On second thought, Carnivero has a beautiful hybrid nicknamed 'Diana' which is only 35 bucks for an adult plant.
IMO, spending 35 bucks on a single adult plant isn't the best choice if you're saving cash and trying to grow multiple neps.
I'd go with the 2 different $16 medium sized (cultivar) CPs which grow vigorously into maturity.
That way, you get two fast growing plants instead of one. You also to get to observe different pitcher stages.
But that's just my opinion and how I'm handling my nepenthes craze.
You make a really good point there. I think I may just do that on a different website(such as Cook's) with younger plants and see what happens, and maybe buy 'Diana' after they mature enough and I get the hang of Nepenthes farming.
By Z_Y
I'm not sure if these vendors are mentioned but I've had pretty good experiences with:

California carnivores
Bergen Water Gardens
Petflytrap
Black Jungle Terrarium Supply

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!