FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Sarrakitty
I currently have 3 varieties of flytraps, the three which seem to be the classic three newbie varieties. Typical, Dente and Red Dragon. This is my first year with them, though the second year of the bog garden they are in, I planted the Sarracenia you see in the background last year.
flytrap1.jpg
flytrap1.jpg (330.22 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
As you can see here there is plastic netting around the outside. I wish I didn't have to have that there but twice I came out to find torn up traps and the second time it was pretty bad and half of the RedDragon was ripped up. I'm pretty sure it was a squirrel and I later saw a squirrel lurking around it but unable to get in.
flytrap2.jpg
flytrap2.jpg (274.77 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Fortunately without the interference of obnoxious rodents they are thriving again. I'm really enjoying these flytraps and they are doing very well since settling in! would like to find a way to repel the squirrels so I don't need netting which is kind of ugly.
By Panman
Very nice plants. Tree rats are a huge problem and, so far, no one has come up with an option other than cages or netting. I lost one plant to squirrels, not that it died (although I am sure it did), but I literally never found the plant. Another one took me 10 minutes to find in the yard. So this was my solution.
Attachments:
IMG_31072021_214821_(1200_x_700_pixel).jpg
IMG_31072021_214821_(1200_x_700_pixel).jpg (541.34 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
By MaxVft
Those plants look great, although the Red Dragon looks like it could use a bit more light :D
By MikeB
Sarrakitty wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:32 am would like to find a way to repel the squirrels so I don't need netting which is kind of ugly.
At my last house, I let my cats prowl the yard. After one of my lawn tigers killed a big tree rat and ate most of it, the rest of them stayed far away from my bog garden. :D
By Sarrakitty
Panman wrote:Very nice plants. Tree rats are a huge problem and, so far, no one has come up with an option other than cages or netting. I lost one plant to squirrels, not that it died (although I am sure it did), but I literally never found the plant. Another one took me 10 minutes to find in the yard. So this was my solution.
Wow that's an impressive plant-cage! If I was making a structure that big I'd just turn it into a greenhouse or a cold-frame at that point. I can't really do that yet but someday I sure want one!

Ewreck wrote:I like the pitcher that photo bomb in the background lol
LOL yeah that's just one wonky pitcher that leaned over off of my oreo x leuco. That particular pitcher isn't in the best condition but it's also growing prettier new ones.

MaxVft wrote:Those plants look great, although the Red Dragon looks like it could use a bit more light :D
I was thinking that myself! They are on a deck/patio that is on the west side of the house, but a small part of the house is to the south of that deck too so somewhat blocks light. They get a lot of direct sun in the afternoon and evening but basically no direct sun in the morning. It's not enough that they aren't healthy, (they have all been steadily growing) but I guess things don't color up quite as dramatically as I'd like.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!